• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

R313.1 Household Fire Alarm Systems

TimNY

Platinum Member
Can anyone tell me how the following is accomplished?

"The household fire alarm system shall provide the same level of smoke detection and alarm as required by this section for smoke alarms in the event the fire alarm panel is removed"

Before household fire alarms per 72 were in the code I used to allow them as an approved alternative.

Now that household fire alarms are specifically addressed, I am of the thinking I cannot allow them as an approved alternative (thereby circumventing the above quote)

So how does one go about having interconnected hard-wired battery-backed up smoke detectors that operate when the alarm panel is removed?

Must be away since it is in the code !!!!!

Ok let us brain storm

Guess you could allow them as a second system

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting bulletin. The last paragraph on the first page makes some bold statements. I will have to check out 72 when I get to the office.

This is where I am.. so far:

"All smoke alarms shall be listed in accordance with UL 217

If you are installing a smoke alarm, it must be listed to UL 217. This would not apply to smoke detectors

"Household fire alarm systems installed in accordance with NFPA 72 that include smoke alarms, or a combination of smoke detector and audible notification device installed as required by this section for smoke alarms, shall be permitted."

I am reading this as "a combination smoke detector and audible notification device may be installed in lieu of a required smoke alarm"

"The household fire alarm system shall provide the same level of smoke detection and alarm as required by this section for smoke alarms in the event the fire alarm panel is removed"

I am reading this as your smoke detector and audible device must continue to operate, must be interconnected and must continue to work on battery power if the building power is interrupted.. even when the panel is removed. How this is possible I have no idea.

Seems no matter what type of smoke alarm that is installed in a house

It can be defeated, so what does it matter what you install????

Builders don't like......niether do alarm installers......so if you default on the monitoring, the alarm company discontinues service.....or removes the panel. We require hardwired smokes per code in addition to a monitored independent system. Not really a hard sell when you explain it to them.