• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

R404.2 interior lighting controls

Mike

2021 IECC section R404.2 specifies that permanently installed lighting fixtures shall be controlled by a dimmer, occupancy sensor control or other control that is installed or built into the fixture, would a standard on/off toggle comply with other control that is installed?

That is what I thought, but I have a design professional that replied to a plan review is saying the other control is the installed standard wall switch, does not seem to make much sense to me a standard wall switch will provide no energy savings other than being able to turn the fixture off, but there is no definition of control.

Maybe the green idiots should have defined "other" controls or titled the section as light reduction or something that sent an inspector there....Instead of just saying "you need controls" because that is a switch...

i could never fine a dimmer that would work with my LED lights. Now I have have LED light bulbs that connect to a app by my wifi which I can turn off/on and dim and change color with my phone.
The code just says the control is to be installed or built into the fixture. If you screw in these light bulbs and install the app in your phone would that be considered installed? Would this pass for code inspection?

i could never fine a dimmer that would work with my LED lights. Now I have have LED light bulbs that connect to a app by my wifi which I can turn off/on and dim and change color with my phone.
The code just says the control is to be installed or built into the fixture. If you screw in these light bulbs and install the app in your phone would that be considered installed? Would this pass for code inspection?
It seems it would be allowed from my interpretation. "[...]that is installed or built into the fixture[...]. I don't see this article as excluding on/off toggles. It says #1 dimmers, #2occupant sensor, #3another control (on/off switch?)
just a thought.

$ ~ $
Mike, we have installed & used this type before.
A rocker switch w \ Dimmer.

1686757533447.png
$ ~ $