• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

R602.10 clear as mud now

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Actually, I along with 2 other inspectors that work for my company attended a great class put on by STB from this forum. Many of the changes in the 2009 for braced wall requirements were clarified and some of the problem areas explained.

STB is a great communicator and the DPs, inspectors and contractors there appeared to have a much better understanding of this code change.

One of the biggest pluses for this code change is that there are now things that you can do prescriptively that were previously not allowed under the 2006 without engineering. It may be more complicated and grew from 6 to 28 pages but there are plenty more options.

You will still find some problems that need to be addressed (I think it is too late for 2012) but for the most part it is not the problem and cluster that I expected.

Just an FYI

We all really need to read 602.10, since there is nothing familiar for any of us... but it's also not rocket science... (and really much more important for the plan reviewer to know).

"Clear as Mud"

It was clear as mud but it covered the ground

And the confusion made the brain go 'round.

I went and ask a good friend of mine,

Known to the world as Albert Einstein.

He said "Son, from the beginning of time and creativity

There existed the force of relativity

Pi r square and a minus ten means a routine only when

The solar system in one light year

Make the Hayden planetarium disappear

So if Mt Everest doesn't move

I am positive that it will prove

That the woman piaba and the man piaba

And the Ton Ton call baka lemon grass,

The lily root, gully root, belly root uhmm,

And the famous grandy scratch scratch.

Harry Belafonte,

Carnegie Hall

April, 1959

Last edited by a moderator:
we all need to actually read the new 602.10 .. it's completely different than what we are used to.

I have recently made my second foray into this section, and its myriad circular references and convolutions...and the occasional vague, unclear or outright contradictory statement.

Table 602.10.4.2 makes a reference to method "CS-G" I could make an educated guess, but does anyone else see another reference to method "CS-G?"

Actually I was told we are not adopting 2009, so no, I'm just an assistant.