• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

R602.3(6) Alternate Stud Height Table

SDS

2018 IRC, table R602.3(6) Alternate Wood Bearing Wall Stud Size, Height & Spacing

Does this table allow for 12' tall walls as long as floor spans do not exceed 12' and roof spans do not exceed 24', when using prescriptive wall bracing?

So I could have a 12' tall braced panel under a 48' roof span, using a mid-span roof bearing at 24', as long as my floor joist spans were 12' or less (foot note c, multi spans)?

Does the table come with any SDC restrictions?

This is new for 2018. The way I read it, the 24' span (meaning 12' tributary length) goes for either floor or roof depending on which one the wall is supporting. There are wind speed restrictions and it must be in Exposure B per 602.3.1. The table does not address seismic.