• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

R602.8.1 Materials for fireblocking

ewenme

Sawhorse
:| Do you allow friction fiberglass batts as fireblocking per this section? Do they fulfill the requirement to be "installed in suach a manner as to be securely retained in place"? Or do you require solid blocking, or kraft-faced batts?

I think you should remove the paper before I would allow it to be used as a fireblock.

Darren Emery said:
Just curious - why (and per what section of the code) do you require the paper to be removed?
If it is packed tight into a space and the kraft side is right against another material, then I guess it wouldn't matter. But the kraft facing may not be left exposed (as per instructions on the paper backing). That means exposed even within a cavity IMHO.

Mac said:
If it is in a cavity then why is it exposed?
Its surface is exposed to the air. Installed so that another material is against (touching) the paper backing is not exposed (to an airspace).

See R302.10.1 Exception 1 (2009 IRC)

Last edited by a moderator:
Darren Emery said:
Just curious - why (and per what section of the code) do you require the paper to be removed?
In the UBC the requirement that the batts be unfaced was worded more clearly, but I think it is still there in R602.8.1. The fact that R602.8.1.1 speaks of unfaced fiberglass implies that that is what is meant in R602.8.1. Beyond that, R602.8.1 list the materials that are allowed. Batts or blankets of mineral or glass fiber are listed. Paper is not listed, therefore it is not allowed.

Does the full depth & width cavity insulation in an exterior wall cavity count as fireblocking?

My point is that the paper doesn't matter - the code allows combustible material to be used as fireblocking. Friction-fitted insulation can come loose and sag or settle, and if concealed in an enclosed stud bay or cavity it willnot be seen, and won't perform its intended funciton. Stapled in place paper face FG has a better probability of staying put.

EPrice said:
In the UBC the requirement that the batts be unfaced was worded more clearly, but I think it is still there in R602.8.1. The fact that R602.8.1.1 speaks of unfaced fiberglass implies that that is what is meant in R602.8.1. Beyond that, R602.8.1 list the materials that are allowed. Batts or blankets of mineral or glass fiber are listed. Paper is not listed, therefore it is not allowed.
Do you require the removal of paper from gypsum board when used as fire blocking too?

The paper faced insulations does not meet flame spread requirements if left exposed. If it's exposed, then it has to be removed. If not exposed, leave it on.

Mac said:
Does the full depth & width cavity insulation in an exterior wall cavity count as fireblocking? My point is that the paper doesn't matter - the code allows combustible material to be used as fireblocking. Friction-fitted insulation can come loose and sag or settle, and if concealed in an enclosed stud bay or cavity it willnot be seen, and won't perform its intended funciton. Stapled in place paper face FG has a better probability of staying put.
The paper used to stable it up with will be the first to go, then the batt better be stable on its ownh

Mac: That was my original question: does the batt fulfill the requirement to 'be securely retained in place?' Two of my inspector disagree. When I read the code section, I say it does fulfill the requirement. Not that I like it. Always in the past I'd required solid blocking for fire blocking. If the requirement is to prevent a chimney effect in the stud bay, then I think the FG batts would do it.

Thanks everyone for the comments and discussion. I found the faced/un-faced batt discussion particularly interesting. I still think that if FG batts suffice, then Kraft-face would also suffice. The backing of the gypsum board is paper too!

Thanks for the replies, all. I have allowed paper faced batts as fireblock, but I sure didn't like it. I just don't think the code is clear enough, either way.

Okay, I'm thinking here.....scary but true!

Okay...there's a flame inside a wall or whatever...If the paper on the insulation is facing the flame, the paper burns off and you still have the insulation left as a fireblock.

Okay...there's a flame inside a wall or whatever...If the paper on the insulation is where the flame cannot get to the paper, it doesn't burn because there is fireblocking.

The code allows wood, plywood, gypsum, particleboard and these are all combustionable materials.

R602.8.1 Materials. includes mineral or glass fiber as allowable material for fireblocking.

Then a little farther along in the code there is a specific section for unfaced fiberglass batt insulation.

R602.8.1.1 Unfaced fiberglass. Unfaced fiberglass batt

insulation used as fireblocking shall fill the entire cross

section of the wall cavity to a minimum height of 16

inches (406 mm) measured vertically. When piping, conduit

or similar obstructions are encountered, the insulation

shall be packed tightly around the obstruction.

In my opinion paper on insulation is okay for fireblocking.

I think the paper is removed to prevent the paper side from forming a chimney up the wall. There is not enough combustible paper there to matter in a fire.

If you read the words printed on the paper that is backing the insulation, it will state that it is not just flamable, but it's highly flamable, and that it must be covered with an approved building material. If the paper will be in full contact with the inside of the drywall, then it is fine. However, if the paper will be left exposed in the cavity, it must be removed.

I have yet to see a kraft faced paper that doesn't have these words on it. I even ran across some a while back at a remodel that was of the foil covered paper type that said the same thing on it. Check with the manufacturer.

paper is more combustible than wood.. once the kraft paper burns away, there in nothing to hold the fiberglass in place. Require something else