• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Radiant Ceiling Tiles

Gogo707

Has anyone dealt with radiant (heating/cooling) ceiling tiles? I have a current project in which radiant ceiling tiles are being proposed and there is some concern regarding the fire sprinklers.

Currently, ordinary temp heads (max 100F ambient ceiling temp) are being proposed. The manufacturing notes for the tile state that the ceiling tiles will never reach up to 100F, however the insulated water piping can reach up to 120F. The piping is protected from the tiles with 1.5" foam insulation.

Does anybody happen to know if this proposed foam insulation will be enough to protect the tiles from the radiant heat? Or would it be safer to upgrade to sprinklers to Intermediate temp ratings?

Thanks in advance!

Has anyone dealt with radiant (heating/cooling) ceiling tiles? I have a current project in which radiant ceiling tiles are being proposed and there is some concern regarding the fire sprinklers.

Currently, ordinary temp heads (max 100F ambient ceiling temp) are being proposed. The manufacturing notes for the tile state that the ceiling tiles will never reach up to 100F, however the insulated water piping can reach up to 120F. The piping is protected from the tiles with 1.5" foam insulation.

Does anybody happen to know if this proposed foam insulation will be enough to protect the tiles from the radiant heat? Or would it be safer to upgrade to sprinklers to Intermediate temp ratings?

Thanks in advance!
I don't believe this will be an issue if the fire sprinkler heads are beneath the ceiling tiles in the conditioned space and have a temperature less than that of the heads. As far as the piping, if there are heads above the suspended ceiling, there is probably a minimum distance recommended by the manufacturer.