• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Radon Control Methods

VLADIMIR LEVIN

In new construction, does the radon pipe need to actually penetrate the roof or can it be brought to the underside of the sheathing?
AF103.1 says its "...intended to prepare the building for post-construction radon mitigation, if neccessary"

Installing all the piping "prepares" the building, and if needed in the future a roof penetration can be made then.

If a pipe was installed during construction, wouldn’t that be done if the neighborhood had a history of radon? Or should all homes be built with radon protection “just because”?

It depends whether the jurisdiction has adopted Appendix F.
Virginia requires all counties which are identified as areas of high radon potential (IRC AF101 Zone 1) to enforce Appendix F.

In new construction, does the radon pipe need to actually penetrate the roof or can it be brought to the underside of the sheathing?
AF103.1 says its "...intended to prepare the building for post-construction radon mitigation, if neccessary"

Installing all the piping "prepares" the building, and if needed in the future a roof penetration can be made then.
There's a lot that goes into a radon mitigation system. Stopping at the underside of the roof sheathing seems wrong.

EPA Standards

A properly installed sub slab radon system will act as a passive vent and help quite a bit, and if radon levels are ever found to be higher than wanted through testing then the in line fan can be added. Seems crazy to not put it through the roof during construction.

"if necessary" my be as required by geographic area.

The internet states that every California county has radon. I have never seen a radon mitigation system. I’ve seen plenty of methane barriers and they are probably similar in makeup.

Well, if the code requires you to prepare only by installing the pipe were not accessible, then connecting the pipe between were it rises out of the slab floor to the riser to the attic would not be needed I guess because you can access it later and make the connection if need be. Its an open area right?

So lets say you don't penetrate the roof and exit the building, and now the pipe produces venting radon gas in the attic, after the new owner moves in?

So, with an existing home it has had time to produce a radon gas build up if present that can be tested for, prior to the sale.

How does one test on a new home?

Simple, plan for the worst to a minimum. The minimum is at least install a passive system, under slab to the exterior, aka out the roof.....

I would not want to be the one trying to explain why we saved the cost of diner for 2 and ended up with this...