• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Radon Vent - how vertical is vertical?

Darren Emery

Apendex F reads:

"The pipe shall be extended up through the building floors, terminate at least 12 inches..."

The commentary reads:

"The vent pipe must extend vertically through the building until it terminates..."

The question is - how vertical must this pipe remain as it makes its way up through the home? Do you allow any horizontal offsets? 45deg only? No offsets?

I am with fatboy.. I would defer to the plumbing code for a definition of vertical pipe. you know that section.. terms, where defined elsewhere in this code yadda yadda

GHRoberts said:
As long as Radon will flow up I would be happy.
Therin lies the concern. A passive system relies on the warmer air to rise through the vent (perhaps with a bit of stack effect taking place as well) - in my opinion, a long horizontal offset is going to compromise the air flow. Currently we do not allow ANY horizontal in the attic, and minimal offset in the conditioned portion of the home. We don't have a maximum allowed, but take it on a case by case basis.

Since the code itself does not use the word vertical, I'm a bit hesitant to flat out require pure vertical.

If the contractors would coordinate vent location / sump location / chase location with the various trades, this could easily be avoided.