• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Radon

Plumb-bob

I recently sat through a presentation regarding radon, its effects on human health, and the building code. One fact that really sticks out to me:

In Canada, annual deaths in structure fires is +/- 110 people. Annual deaths from radon is +/- 3500 people. So it shows the scale of the problem and how we as inspectors can make a difference.

In BC we require a passive depressurization system that is roughed in from under slab to out through the roof, and in theory should be ready for a fan to be installed.

What is happening in other provinces?

I should say that this rough in is only required in areas deemed to have significant radon, but more extensive mapping has been done and these areas will be expanded in future editions of the code.

Plumb-bob, I would like to know what proof BC provides for the number of deaths per year due to radon? 3500?? That number seems more speculative or imaginary, and very much like the numbers provided by DEQ in the US. The US numbers were based upon speculation and linear estimates. Like masks and covid vaccines... do the research for yourself.

Please check out Radon: Truth vs Myth

However, Fire related deaths can be proven.

Last edited:
National code now requires a rough in in the slab, but it only has to be capped off and labelled.

There does appear to be a movement for what you are describing as required in BC, with the requirement for the ability to provide a fan if necessary in the future.

Plumb-bob, I would like to know what proof BC provides for the number of deaths per year due to radon? 3500?? That number seems more speculative or imaginary, and very much like the numbers provided by DEQ in the US. The US numbers were based upon speculation and linear estimates. Like masks and covid vaccines... do the research for yourself.

Please check out Radon: Truth vs Myth

However, Fires deaths can be proven.
I have some skepticism of the gravity of the concern with radon as well. This was pushed in Canada primarily from the Canadian Cancer Society after they had achieved relatively significant success in reducing smoking, well until vaping that is.

The data they presented was not well segregated. What was the foundation of the building? Was there a concrete slab and what was the condition? Is mechanical ventilation provided? These questions were not answered.

I would stop short of saying "do your own research" because I have a general concern related to public science literacy, specifically related to statistical analysis and awareness of logical fallacies.

I am no shill for any program or product, just relaying what I heard...

One of the main points of the presentation was how well founded the science is, to the point that the gov't is no longer funding studies on the dangers of radon because the science is settled. I believe they have large, long term studies of the amount of radiation uranium miners are exposed to, and this is linked to cancer rates. They then measure the radiation in houses from radon (gas caused by the degradation of uranium), and draw the correlation. Think I have that correct...

Regardless, the cost and effort of installing a radon depressurization system is very low since most of the components, such as granular layer and air/vapour barrier, are required anyways for different purposes.

Pragmatically, you may wish you had it done during construction when it comes time to sell the house. I'm a little skeptical but cost near $2000 when buyers demanded it. They did intend to finish basement for kids playroom.

What is happening in other provinces?
IIRC, it's a national requirement.

I should say that this rough in is only required in areas deemed to have significant radon, but more extensive mapping has been done and these areas will be expanded in future editions of the code.
Not as I read your code - same as NBC. Required in all residential buildings, must be part 9 or Part 6/5 for all other buildings save those of low human occupancy.

I see there's some locational stuff going on, but FYI, in NBC, it matters not.

Plumb-bob, I would like to know what proof BC provides for the number of deaths per year due to radon? 3500??

You mis-read his post - he said one death per 3,500.