• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Rafter thrust and I give up

Well, in my neck of the woods we get some snow also, and I have seen plenty of structures the the ridge has sagged, the walls have bowed, due to inadequate rafter ties. From what I could see in the pic, they need ties. Maybe it works sometimes, somewhere, but...........code requires ties where there is not a beam supporting the ridge.

If the vaulted ceiling joists bearing on the interior wall had not been installed would the beam, that many are advocating, be required to support the actual rafters? Probably not but we really do not know because the picture is not showing enough of the roof construction. There is quite possibly, and probably likely, that a ridge exists at the top of the gable end with additional support for the ridge and roof rafters making the pictured vault little more than drywall backing. We are not being provided with enough info.