• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Rail mounting height

King

Rec'd elev shop dwg showing top of "handrail" inside cab @32"AFF.

Asked contractor why so low, contractor ensured it is code compliance. I asked him if he can lower it to b/t 34"-38"AFF. He said the AHJ would not allow.

I started to ask myself what is the purpose of this handrail? It is technically not a handrail because:

1-it is not 1 1/2" clear from the wall;

2-it is not circular in section

So what is the purpose of this "RAIL"? Is it bumper rail?

FYI, I looked in the local codes, and cannot find any requirement of mounting height.

Ada????

Not sure what the current height requirements are

NOTE: National Elevator Industries ( NEI ) standards recommend a support rail be provided on the rear wall of the car. The rail shall be smooth and the inside surface at 1 1/2" (38mm) clear of the walls at a nominal height of 32" (813mm) from the floor to the top of the support rail.

This one says 30

http://www.buildings.com/ArticleDetails/tabid/3334/Default.aspx?ArticleID=8347#top

One more with pictures

http://www.unitedelevator.com/ada-upgrades/

Thx for replying.

ADA handrail mounting ht is 34"-38". Your 2nd article use the same #.

If the top of the rail is @32", it basically is too low to be used as "HANDRAIL" because it sits right below the buttock.

King said:
Thx for replying.ADA handrail mounting ht is 34"-38". Your 2nd article use the same #.

If the top of the rail is @32", it basically is too low to be used as "HANDRAIL" because it sits right below the buttock.
2010 ADAAG Advisory 403.6 Handrails. Handrails provided in elevator cabs and platform lifts are not required to comply with the requirements for handrails on walking surfaces.