• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Raise a roof

Inspector 102

Silver Member
I actually have a building owner that has proposed the thought of having a mechanical roof that can be raised during nice weather to allow patrons to have an open patio effect. The floor area under the roof would be approximately 600 SF and be used as accessory to an existing tavern. Other than exiting issues and accessibility, has anyone ever dealt with this idea before. Enginerr would be involved but I am curious whether it has been done before.

So how is the roof going to be raised??

Is he just talking straight up?? Ten feet or so ? Basicly allow the sunshine in,,

Will need significant engineering. Not easily done in an existing building.

The owner wants it to go straight up. When lowered back down, the membrane would seal against a "parapet" wall to keep most to the weather out. The floor underneath the deck would be weatherproof otherwise. Under roof space will not be usable unless roof is raised. I see all the engineering nightmares with the hydraulic lift system, lateral bracing, hoist supports, etc. That is why I wondered if anyone has seen this done before. I can envision 6 sycronized hydraulic rams with diaganol supports at each ram once lifted in place. It would require some type of release mechanism to lower it back down. I would be curious whether a better approach would be drop down windows to open it up, but permanent framing for the roof to remain in place. I will update if the engineer proceeds with this. I am sure the patrons of the tavern would find some use for the space regardless of how it is held up.