• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Ramp and doorways

kasa

Can the 60" clear length of a ramp landing (ICC A117.1-2009, section 405.7.3) have a door swing over it?

Section 405.7.5 says "where doorways are adjacent to a ramp landing", and then the commentary says "...doors are permitted only adjacent to the ramp and not adjacent to or on the ramp itself." Does this phrase actually prohibit the door arc to pass over the 60" clear length? - it sounds to me like it's just prohibiting the door from swinging over the ramp, not the landing's clear area? The commentary figure c405.7.5(a) shows the landing outside the arc, but I don't see that in the language directly- just implied, by saying what can overlap the landing it implies any other things can't overlap? Further, the commentary references "Section 404.2.4.5", which doesn't exist. Can someone point me to errata? I'm having trouble finding it.

There is then a figure 1012.5.3 in the 2015 IBC commentary, where it shows a door arc over the 60" landing, and just required 42" clear, measured to the railings though- not to the start of the ramp.

Also figure 1012.2 in the 2015 IBC commentary, shows a door opening over a ramp landing, and just required 42" outside the arc, seems to be ok that the door swings over that landing?

Yes, a door can swing over a landing at the top/bottom of a ramp. In practice, not the best idea, particularly if the landing is an intermediate landing between two ramps. But, yes - the door swing can overlap with the landing.

Here is some information for the Access Board. Take note that they advise the door swing to be beyond the landing for greater safety; thus it is clearly permissible, just not best practice.

Doorways at Landings

[§405.7.5]
Required door maneuvering clearances can overlap ramp landings (
it is advisable to locate the swing of doors outside ramp landings for greater safety).

Doorways at Ramp Landings

Doorway at ramp landing. Notes: Ramp landing can overlap doormaneuvering clearance. Recommendation: Locate door swing outside ramplanding.

If your project was in California, our code edited ADAS 405.7.5 to add the following language in italics:

11B-405.7.5 Doorways

Where doorways are located adjacent to a ramp landing, maneuvering clearances required by Sections 11B-404.2.4 and 11B-404.3.2 shall be permitted to overlap the required landing area. Doors, when fully open, shall not reduce the required ramp landing width by more than 3 inches (76 mm). Doors, in any position, shall not reduce the minimum dimension of the ramp landing to less than 42 inches (1067 mm).