• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ramp enclosure interpretation

sergoodo

Changes in corridor floor level with a ramp are not required to be enclosed. The corridor is an exit access, not an exit. Only an exit ramp, or a ramp that penetrates a floor assembly is required to be enclosed.

any other interpretations?

Office with a corridor and an 8" change of level in the middle of a double loaded corridor..8' 1:12 accessible ramp required.

To me it is part of the walkway / corridor

Sounds like you are going the right way

Should is not a code requirement, remember "Code" is Basic "Minimum" Standard, Bare Minimum.

Recommendation Not Requirement. Reread my post. I was clear that it was not required.

Code compliant is not always GOOD Design

Same rating as the corridor.....may or may not need to be rated, but not an exit enclosure as long as you are still counting travel distance....