• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Ramp or stairs

Mech

IBC 2006 & ANSI A117.1

When and where can an accessible stair be used instead of an accessible ramp to travel between levels in a building?

Thanks.

Re: Ramp or stairs

NEVER

ADA definition

Accessible Route.

A continuous unobstructed path connecting all accessible elements and spaces of a building or facility. Interior accessible routes may include corridors, floors, ramps, elevators, lifts, and clear floor space at fixtures. Exterior accessible routes may include parking access aisles, curb ramps, crosswalks at vehicular ways, walks, ramps, and lifts.

Forgive my stupidity, but how can accessible stairs even exist :?: See ANSI section 504, page 41.

Can they only exist outside the building?

It seems the more I read, the less I know. :(

You are confusing an accessible route with an accessible set of stairs

An accessible route would be a route which is primarily designed to be used by those in a wheelchair

An accessible set of stairs could be part of the circulation path design

CIRCULATION PATH. An exterior or interior way of passage from one place to another for pedestrians.

1104.5 Location.

Accessible routes shall coincide with or be located in the same area as a general circulation path. Where the circulation path is interior, the accessible route shall also be interior. Where only one accessible route is provided, the accessible route shall not pass through kitchens, storage rooms, restrooms, closets or similar spaces.

1104.4 Exception 1 thru 4 pretty much spell out when an accessible route (ramp) is NOT required

Mech said:
IBC 2006 & ANSI A117.1When and where can an accessible stair be used instead of an accessible ramp to travel between levels in a building?

Thanks.
Aggregate area of all levels and mezzanines not on an accessible route < 3000 sf.

For ADA any level or maezznaine < 3000 sf.

Some restrictions apply.

brudgers said:
Mech said:
IBC 2006 & ANSI A117.1When and where can an accessible stair be used instead of an accessible ramp to travel between levels in a building?

Thanks.
Aggregate area of all levels and mezzanines not on an accessible route < 3000 sf.

For ADA any level or maezznaine < 3000 sf.

Some restrictions apply.

Yes, I agree and have a project exactly like this where the DP has offices on a mezzanine of 2,900 square feet. There are 2 sets of accessible stairwells that serve this area.

mtlogcabin said:
What does finished or unfinished have to do with it?
I suppose nothing if it is less than 3,000 square feet. I was just being descriptive.

Then again, the 3,000 foot rule would not apply if the basement contained an office for a health care provider.

Perhaps the confusion is due to the similar wording: Accessible Route vs. Accessible Means of Egress. Two different things entirely, and yes, the latter can include stairs!

jar546 said:
Now what about a set of stairs to an unfinished basement used for storage in a commercial structure?
I'm not aware of any exception.

jar546 said:
mtlogcabin said:
What does finished or unfinished have to do with it?
I suppose nothing if it is less than 3,000 square feet. I was just being descriptive.

Then again, the 3,000 foot rule would not apply if the basement contained an office for a health care provider.

All levels of a health care provider's office must be accessible even if treatment is not provided on an inaccessible level.

In fact, to go beyond the code, when a health care provider fills out the paperwork to be approved by insurance companies there are questions directly relating to this.

I have a related question: In an assembly occupancy building with 2 required exits, the 1st floor is 5 ft above grade due to flood zone. Main entrance has a ramp for access/egress. Can the second exit have stairs from 1st floor to grade, or does it have to have a Lift or a ramp?

C & A,

Welcome to the forum! :)

Must be an accessible lift or ramp ( see Section 1105.1 in the`06 IBC: ) " ...at least 60 percent of all public entrances shall be accessible."

Ooops, I should have clarified -- I am in California, using 2007 CBC. CBC has completely re-written Chapter 11. Do you know if there is a similar clause in Chapter 11B? Thanks!

Hi C&A,

In CA, all entrances must be accessible (1114B.1.3). It sounds like you're talking about an exit though that is not also an entrance. If the building/space requires two means of egress, then the second exit must be accessible. You'll need to look at Sections 1007.1 and 1007.3 to see if these particular stairs qualify.