• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Rape-Proof Stairs (?)

JBI

This is a new one for me, but my daughter attends college at SUNY Oneonta, on campus there is a set of stairs that are more like a series of landings. Each is about 3' - 4' in depth and a rise of +/- 6" between, total about 10 - 12 treads. They are also sloped slghtly forward.

Without debating the possible code violations (please!), the student body has been referring to these as 'Rape-Proof Stairs', with the explaination that the rhythm of the stairs is designed to break the stride of a male pursuing a female (intended) victim allowing her to escape. The theory being the obvious difference in the average male stride versus the average female stride.

I will note for the record that these are the ONLY stairs on campus with this peculiar design.

Sounds (and looks) to me like a Landscape Architect or Building Architect was looking for a nice entry feature to the buildings' courtyard. What do you say, has anyone ever heard of 'rape-proof stairs' before?

Re: Rape-Proof Stairs (?)

John,

I thought that I had heard of most things, and now you introduce

a new one. No, I have never heard of these type of designed

stairs, or of this type of built environment.

Maybe one of our esteemed colleagues on here will have some

insights. Rick A., are you out there? :D

Sounds like somebody is blowing smoke.....

Landings (or steps) sloped to prevent water accumulations (or free standing water to ice up)

Dpending upon the code that this feature is constructed will determine whether it has to meeet the current standards for stairways or not.

For example - stairs were clearly defined in the SBCCI - require 4 or more risers and stair geometry had to be the old 7/11 rule or the sum of two risers plus one tread could not be more than 25". If it didn't meet these requirements, it wasn't a stairway per sec. Therefore, alot of building entrances used the elongated series of elevation changes to keep from having to meet the stairway/handrail/ guard requirements.

John hopefully you have raised a daughter smart enough to not believe this. Tell to be carefull and always watch her surrounding :!:

PS

It just proves my signature

If you buy the statement you buy the underlying assumption

I have never heard of 'rape proof stairs' but I have seen some cast in place ones that left me feeling less than amorous. :D

Keep them coming...

I don't think my duaghter was too sold on it. :) They're only in one location on campus. The whole place is like a small village in a hilly area, there are stairs everywhere. My daughter kept saying 'Yeah right, because this is the only place on campus anyone ever got raped, right?'.

Not sure if it's an upperclass prank, urban legend, or urban legend born of an upperclass prank.

Anyone else? I'm looking for a large response to help her prove this one wrong.

B Bob - "Without debating the possible code violations (please!)" I said please. :(

mtlog - She is always aware of her surroundings. And she's pretty tough too. ;)

would they not also slow the advance of the intended victim?

Crimes (including rape) are the reason there isn't a stop switch in modern elevators.

JD:

Never heard or seen anything like described.......wow :eek: Glad your daughter is tough and hopefully (based on previous discussion) you taught her a few moves and strikes. While visiting campus' for my daughter's interest. The one I was most impressed with is IPFW and their safety scheme. All dorms are newer sprinkled apartments where roomates share a common kitchen and living room only. All lobbies, hallways and stair landings including assent and decent are close circuit monitored and the manned police sub station is in the center of the housing courtyard. At no point along travel paths are students farther than 100' of an emergency panic station.

:!: Get her a large hat pin and in-struck her to go for the eyes! Must make them mad dog mean before they leave home! Also, instruct her regarding date rape! Never leave her glass unattended or allow someone to bring her something to drink that she has not witnessed being poured.

These are some sad times :!:

Keep your wits about you and keep packin. But if you pull it out, smokin is the only way. Never bluff.

Gotta be an urban legend - wouldn't the "stairs" slow the victim also?

More likely just an exterior design feature.

I'm looking for a large response to help her prove this one wrong
. If she wants to prove this wrong just have a couple of male track stars chase a few female students up the stairs and see if they can catch them.

"common sense" tells you this just ain't true

jp has the best advise even on campus

I just will offer some input on the old stair riser / tread formula that was in the SBC.

I was retained some years ago as an expert witness and reviewed an exterior stair made from brick. The riser was a full soldier course (8” nominal) and yes someone got injured on this step. The SBC at the time was a max riser of 7 1/2" for commercial work. The AHJ did not require a Professional seal as required by their adobted Code.

What I found was the formula used in the Code is about 300-years old and came from the French as I recall. It was based on the walking stride of people. Well people are taller now and as far as I know there may not been any additional studies to disprove the old formula.

Under the IBC the riser can be 4” min to 7” max and the tread 11” min to whatever you want for a tread. The max riser and minimum tread are also the limits in ADA.

I read the post title and kept wondering how anyone could rape a set of stairs.

Mythinks the student body is trying to name things for the sake of identifying weird from typical.

And, BB, I don't think that they were "blowing" smoke. Someone inhaled!

:lol:

FM Burns - I've worked on a fair amount of student housing for various institutions. Most of the housing has cameras that go straight to a video recorder, for evidence gathering after an incident. They purposefully do NOT do live monitoring of their video feed, due to potential liability; i.e. if the person monitoring the cameras turns away and fails to see/stop a crime, will the crime victim sue the institution for negligence?

The "Code Blue" stations work great, but don't assume all the camera systems are doing real-time monitoring, unless you've specifically heard this from the campus security personnel.

So, the concensus seems to be 'urban legend' or 'prank'. I had a feeling that was the case.

The whole theory hinged on the difference in stride between male and female, problem is not all men have the same stride and not all women have the same stride.

My daughter for example is just under 5'11", and can easily keep up with me (6'3") when walking whereas my son at 6' cannot (she actually has longer legs than he).

Her roommate at 5' 7" or so has a much different stride than my daughter.

Any other opinions?

JD:

Outside the obvious of addressing the concern with (facilities or physical plant maintenance, code enforcement division etc.) you may want to check into the actual jurisdictional agency for colleges and universities (ours is the state fire marshal’s office) where state certified inspectors are not employed who have to follow state rules for colleges and universities for matters concerning fire protection and egress (if these stairs are part of the egress system or level of exit discharge). They may be able to offer an explanation as to how and why these were approved. In my experience colleges and universities are autonomous regarding building codes with exception to fire safety, protection and egress. NY may be similar? Just a thought!

NEW AND EXISTING SCHOOL, COLLEGE, AND UNIVERSITY FIRE SAFETY(By authority conferred on the state fire safety board by section 3c of Act

No. 207 of the Public Acts of 1941, as amended, and Executive Reorganization

Order No. 1997-2, being §§29.3c and 29.451 of the Michigan Compiled Laws)

PART 1. GENERAL PROVISIONS

R 29.1901 Applicability.

Rule 1. These rules apply to all new and existing school, college, and

university facilities used for instructional purposes as defined in these

rules.

R 29.1902 Life safety code; adoption by reference.

Rule 2. The provisions of chapters 1 to 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 26, 27, 32, and 33

of national fire protection association pamphlet no. 101, 1997 edition,

entitled "Life Safety Code," are adopted by reference as part of these rules.

R 29.1903 Definitions.

Rule 3. As used in these rules:

(g) "Level of exit discharge" means a floor or floors of a building that exit directly to the outside at grade. A floor that is not more than 4 feet above or below grade at exit discharge is a level of exit discharge.

(k) "Remodeling" means an alteration or change of fire-rated assembly, or the installation of new equipment required by these rules.

R 29.1904 Plans and specifications.

Rule 4. (1) A school, college, university, or designated representative

shall submit plans and specifications to the office of fire safety for all

projects that involve construction, remodeling, or an addition.

Construction shall not commence until office of fire safety approval has been

received in writing.

F M - It's a State school (SUNY Oneonta), NYS DOES require code compliance at State owned facilities.

The 'stairs' in question are on the exterior and well away from the building proper, so not an 'egress component' as far as the codes go. They are one of several options when travelling toward or away from the building. Due to the incline, a simple paved path would have been tough to walk up.

It's a nice feature, and the geometry alone would place it outside the code as well - that's why I qualified the OP... ;)

I gave my daughter a copy of the responses to take back to college with her, I'm sure she enjoyed showing them to her friends (she's a smart a$$ like her Dad). :D

Re: Rape-Proof Stairs (?)Design assumption for R-proof stair. Only effective going up stair. Shorter female goes to ground and falls in front of next riser. Taller male attacker falls and impacts toe of next riser losing minimum of three teeth.rp stair.JPG[/attachment:37ai8ypz]

View attachment 23

View attachment 23

/monthly_2010_05/572953b3c8475_rpstair.JPG.82687f0102caccb7160b3592196c66b9.JPG

JM - Not to burst your bubble or anything... my daughter is 5' 11"... :eek: Cute pictogram though. :D

John Drobysh said:
This is a new one for me, but my daughter attends college at SUNY Oneonta, on campus there is a set of stairs that are more like a series of landings. Each is about 3' - 4' in depth and a rise of +/- 6" between, total about 10 - 12 treads. They are also sloped slghtly forward. Without debating the possible code violations (please!), the student body has been referring to these as 'Rape-Proof Stairs', with the explaination that the rhythm of the stairs is designed to break the stride of a male pursuing a female (intended) victim allowing her to escape. The theory being the obvious difference in the average male stride versus the average female stride.

I will note for the record that these are the ONLY stairs on campus with this peculiar design.

Sounds (and looks) to me like a Landscape Architect or Building Architect was looking for a nice entry feature to the buildings' courtyard. What do you say, has anyone ever heard of 'rape-proof stairs' before?
How is that? It got to be the biggest line of B.S. I've ever heard. I call it b.s. because I'm a man and I can change my stride and this is 3'-4' depth which I can run up easily. I think it is really just a means to bypass handrail requirements or they just want gradual inclination stairs. The leg stride deal and 'rape proof' stairs b.s. is just that... b.s.