• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

coarchitect123

Hi all, I've been racking my brain for a few days and need some help. I'm working on a Type V-A affordable housing development and am trying to avoid a soffit at the underside of the balconies. Can a balcony assembly be rated without a soffit? I am assuming yes, because I see exposed wood joists all over town. However, I can't seem to find an applicable assembly, and doesn't seem appropriate to have an open cavity in a rated assembly. Can someone please explain how this has been done in the past? Thanks in advance.

In 2021 IBC it is in 705.2.3.1 Exception 3. It is not required to be rated, unless there is an issue with fire separation distance. In older codes it was in 1406.