• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

rated corridor assembly

cda

Sawhorse 123
Anyone have a ul design for a one hour corridor with rated ceiling tiles???

or a link to ceiling tiles that are rated for use as the ceiling in a one hour corridor???

Ok mark. I may be reading the links wrong

I have only seen it done two times, and many moons ago

The walls went a little above the ceiling, and the one hour ceiling was achieved using rated tiles, but they also had to be clipped/ held down to the track

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks will read it more closely

Been a very long time since having to deal with it

further research::

Are hold down clips necessary when following a UL design?

Amstrong Fire Guard ceilings do not require the use of "hold down" clips in a UL design. Hold down clips are only required for UL assemblies in which the ceiling panels weigh less than 1.0 lb./square foot. All Armstrong Fire Guard ceilings weigh 1.0 lb./sq.ft. or more and do not require hold down clips.

How do I obtain an hourly rating for a corridor?

Below is a list of construction practices used in the industry to obtain an hourly rating for a corridor:

•If the corridor walls do not go to the deck, find the appropriate UL Design and install the specified fire-resistive ceiling and fire-resistive grid in corridor ceiling and adjacent areas.

•If the walls in the corridor run to the deck above, find the appropriate UL Design and install the specified fire-resistive ceiling and fire-resistive grid in the corridor ceiling; fire-damp where walls are penetrated.

•Install two layers of gypsum board in the corridor ceiling WITH CODE OFFICIAL APPROVAL, or reference the current 1997 Uniform Building Code section 1004.3.4.3.1 (2), page 1-115 Volume 1.

The above construction practices should be reviewed with your local Code Official before construction.

http://www.armstrong.com/commceilingsna/article21342.html

cda said:
...If the walls in the corridor run to the deck above, find the appropriate UL Design and install the specified fire-resistive ceiling and fire-resistive grid in the corridor ceiling; fire-damp where walls are penetrated. http://www.armstrong.com/commceilingsna/article21342.html
I don't understand why the armstrong literature includes this. Per 708, this would only be required if the room side fire resistance rating continued to the deck above, and the corridor side rating did not. If the rated walls (both sides of framing) continue to underside of deck, a separate rated corridor ceiling is not required, unless you're using the area above as a plenum.

maybe depends on what the deck is made of????? and if you are in a multi story building??

Or to sell more ceiling tiles...

On further review, I don't understand this either:

"Install two layers of gypsum board in the corridor ceiling WITH CODE OFFICIAL APPROVAL, or reference the current 1997 Uniform Building Code section 1004.3.4.3.1 (2), page 1-115 Volume 1. "

Sorry, but I'm not approving 2 layers of sheetrock on the corridor side; the code clearly allows a ceiling constructed "as required for the corridor walls". I'm not interested in providing extra sheetrock to protect the rooms from the corridor...

Last edited by a moderator:
UL floor/ceiling assemblies are tested for the entire floor/ceiling and as I understand are to be continued to all exterior walls not just across a corridor or room that has rated enclosing walls. Although the Code allows you to rate a floor/ceiling assembly from one rated corridor wall to the other rated wall across the span of the corridor I do not endorse such a practice with UL floor/ceiling assemblies. There are issues with floor joist penetrations of the rated wall regarding adequate firesafing and exceeding the allowable ceiling penetration area with lights and HVAC. If you have to have a rated corridor cap then I usually use a horizontal shaft wall or a light gauge joist framing systems that are floor/ceiling assemblies and bear on the rated corridor wall. Not just laying a drywall stud over the corridor.

If you have a rated UL floor/ceiling just across the corridor and the corridor wall does not go up to the underside of the deck you would have an open space above the corridor wall and the fire can spread over the corridor if the floor/ceiling assembly is not contiguous through out the building.