• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Rated Sheetrock tape

MTL

Have you seen it used in attic areas???

And if so have you gone back in a year or more to see how it is holding up?????

We have seen it used in attics and no we have not gone back into the attics.

I have been in res garages where it was installed mid 07 and it still looked good.

MTL

Sounds good must have had good installer, saw some maybe six months old and sloppy job and falling off

mtlogcabin said:
We have allowed it for years on non load bearing walls. the key is all joints must be blocked per the ES Report. See linkhttp://images2.cableorganizer.com/ez-fire-tape/1hour-wall-rating.pdf
Given that all the joints must be blocked I can't see why anybody would bother with it. Section 2508.4 of the IBC has an exception for the requirement for any joint treatment when the joints occur over wood framing members.

Bill

KZQuixote said:
Given that all the joints must be blocked I can't see why anybody would bother with it. Section 2508.4 of the IBC has an exception for the requirement for any joint treatment when the joints occur over wood framing members. Bill
Correct, previous BO required all joints in residential to be taped because I could not find a similar exception in the IRC. After this came on the market we started to allow the EZ Tape. The contractors liked it because it was faster and cleaner.

2508.4 does not talk about if any gap is allowed or how much

or does it matter??

or since we should be looking at a listed assembly does the listing specify if any gap is allowed??

Last edited by a moderator:
mtlogcabin said:
Correct, previous BO required all joints in residential to be taped because I could not find a similar exception in the IRC. After this came on the market we started to allow the EZ Tape. The contractors liked it because it was faster and cleaner.
This time an exception is an exception ( Section 2508.4 ). Lacking a requirement why would you need an exception in the IRC? I can't find anything in section R309 that requires any joint treatments at all.

Bill

Just checked Section R302 in the 2009 code. There's no mention of any joint or fastener treatments at all. I would think that since IBC specifically addresses joint and fastener treatment, in fire rated assemblies, if a similar requirement existed in the IRC it would be specifically set out.

If the partition is a fire-resistance rated assembly, then the joints need to be fire-taped (level 1) unless "otherwise specified" or unless A through D are satisfied above the ceiling (attics).

In residential construction, the only rated assemblies are seen in Table R302.1 for minimum separation distance at exterior walls and R317 for two-family dwellings and townhouses.

The key words are "rated assemblies." If it is not a rated assembly, then the joints do not have to be taped. Draftstopping materials do not have to be taped.

From GA-600-2009 Fire Resistance Design Manual (referenced in IBC);

6. Unless otherwise specified, the face layers of all systems, except those with predecorated or metal covered surfaces, shall have joints taped (minimum

Level 1 as specified in GA-214, Recommended Levels of Gypsum Board Finish) and fastener heads treated. Base layers in multi-layer systems shall not be required to have joints or fasteners taped or covered with joint compound.

7. When a fire-resistance rated partition extends above the ceiling, the gypsum board joints occurring above the ceiling need not be taped and fasteners need not be covered when all of the following conditions are met.

a. The ceiling is part of a fire-resistance rated floor-ceiling or roof-ceiling system;

b. All vertical joints occur over framing members;

c. Horizontal joints are either staggered 24 inches o.c. on opposite sides of the partition, or are covered with strips of gypsum board not less than 6 inches wide; or the partition is a twolayer system with joints staggered 16 inches or

24 inches o.c.; and

d. The partition is not part of a smoke or sound

control system.

Where joint treatment is discontinued at or just above the ceiling line, the vertical joint shall be cross taped at this location to reduce the possibility of joint cracking.