• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Reasons to ask for a copy of calculations from engineers and architects

jar546

Forum Coordinator
This has been my personal experience and yours may differ but here it goes. Many times we received designs that were outside the prescriptive code, which is normal of course. Some of those designs that were stamped and sealed used prescriptive methods that would not meet the prescriptive code, based on span tables for example. In those instances we always politely asked for a copy of the calculations from the registered design professional (RDP). We are almost always questioned as to why we are asking for them and the response is always the same, "for our records." In addition to have an official copy on file, it gives us the option to have another engineer review them.

Asking for a copy of the calculations on questionable jobs especially usually results in some push back from the RDP even after we state that we need them for our records, which we are completely within our right and duty to do so. What I personally found out is that the more push back we get from the RDP, the more likely calculations were never done whatsoever. This helps to eliminate the "rubber stamp" situations that we all have in our jurisdictions. Going further with this I will preface this next statement with stating that most code officials and plan reviewers are not RDPs but some are and those of us that are not cannot review to approve the calculations as they are beyond the scope of our job. We can, however, scan through them for those of us that are familiar to see if some of the measurements the calculations are based on are correct and this has been invaluable. In one instance on a hip rafter, the calculation was based on a 16' span when, in fact, it was a 22' span and when the calculation was made with the correct span, it failed.

The overall message here I am trying to convey is that we should ask for a copy of the calculations from RDPs because many times, they are never actually done. If a nominal lumber girder does not meet the prescriptive standards, how is it going to be any different just because there is a stamp on it? Oh, and remember, the more push back you get from the RDP, the more likely they never did calculations at all.

I do only commercial, and each time (that I'm aware of) a set of calculations by the structural engineer was submitted along with the drawings and specifications.

I require them and compare them with the drawings.
Many times they do not match.
Sizes of members or spans are different.
Draftsman don't always get it right.
Sometimes changes are made and they don't want to have the calc rerun

Last edited:
We request calculations with every submittal; residential and commercial.

On the residential side, I would say approximately 1/3 of engineered plans have some sort of discrepancy. Issues range from wrong values used in calculations to copy and paste errors, wrong beam callouts, etc. Design professionals get busy and make mistakes just the same as anyone else.

If it does not meet prescriptive code or in a span table I can trust such as ILevel for engineered products, then I will ask for them to provide me with the span table they used or calculations. Signed and sealed of course.

We request calculations with every submittal; residential and commercial.

On the residential side, I would say approximately 1/3 of engineered plans have some sort of discrepancy. Issues range from wrong values used in calculations to copy and paste errors, wrong beam callouts, etc. Design professionals get busy and make mistakes just the same as anyone else.

Ahh, yes. Music to my ears or actually eyes since I am reading this. Thanks!