• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Reasons Why Building Permit Application Packages are Rejected by Permit Technicians

IBC 1803.2 requires that geotechnical investigations be conducted. The exception to 1803.2 says the Building Official "... shall be permitted to waive the requirement for a geotechnical investigation where satisfactory data from adjacent areas is available that demonstrates an investigation is not necessary for any of the conditions in Sections 1803.5.1 through 1803.5.6 and Sections 1803.5.10 and 1803.5.11." So the geotechnical investigation and report are only not required IF the BO waives it, and he/she may do that only when there is satisfactory data available. It's not the applicant's call whether or not to provide it. The applicant has to request NOT to provide it, and the BO doesn't have to waive the requirement.

Likewise, the exception to 107.1 allows the BO to waive any of the required submittals " ... if it is found that the nature of the work applied for is such that review of construction documents is not necessary to obtain compliance with this code."
Agreed on all of the above. The requirement to submit a geotechnical report comes from section 1803, not section 107. Which is what I said in my first post.

Although, again, this excursion into the IBC is likely a side track for the original example, which was residential and hence likely under the IRC. In the IRC, the default appears to be that no geotechnical report is required, although the building official may require one under R401.4. The original example sounded like an abuse of that discretion.

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited:

Why Building Permit Application Packages are Rejected by Permit Technicians​

1) Just cuz your daddy built a house doesn't mean your a builder!
2) We don't except TIGER CODE here!
3) I got to wait for my nails to dry!
4) The kiosk is down! Can you come back Monday?
5) You forgot to sign it!
6) It's almost 3pm, "I gotta take my break, it's the law you know!"
7) You didn't take a number!
8) Come back when you have my $20.00 bucks!
9) "DEBO's coming!" Hide you stuff!
10) Jar won't accept paper dude!

search for "geotechnical" in 2021 IRC sure seems like a report is unlikely to be required.

R401.4.1 Geotechnical evaluation.
In lieu of a complete geotechnical evaluation, the load-bearing values in Table R401.4.1 shall be assumed.

R401.4.2 Compressible or shifting soil.
Instead of a complete geotechnical evaluation, where top or subsoils are compressible or shifting, they shall be removed to a depth and width sufficient to ensure stable moisture content in each active zone and shall not be used as fill or stabilized within each active zone by chemical, dewatering or presaturation.

401.4 does make me wonder if "soil tests" and "geotechnical evaluations" are the same things.

"in lieu of" and "instead of" but one is never required.

Reading 1803.1, it talks about "where required" they are to be conducted by and RDP, suggesting that it's possible to do these without an RFP and without in situ testing.

Table R401.4.1 footnote b

b. Where the building official determines that in-place soils with an allowable bearing capacity of less than 1,500 psf are likely to be present at the site, the allowable bearing capacity shall be determined by a soils investigation.
401.4 does make me wonder if "soil tests" and "geotechnical evaluations" are the same things.

Soils investigation versus geotech reports​

Soils investigation and geotechnical reports are two related but distinct concepts in the context of construction and engineering projects.
Soils Investigation: A soils investigation is a process of evaluating the physical and chemical properties of soil at a construction site. It involves collecting and analyzing soil samples, conducting laboratory tests, and assessing the site’s geology and hydrology. The goal of a soils investigation is to determine the suitability of the soil for a specific construction project, taking into account factors such as soil bearing capacity, settlement, and stability.
Geotechnical Reports: A geotechnical report is a document that summarizes the findings of a soils investigation and provides recommendations for the design and construction of a project. It includes information on the site’s geology, soil properties, and potential hazards, as well as recommendations for foundation design, excavation, and construction methods. Geotechnical reports are typically prepared by geotechnical engineers and are used to inform design decisions, obtain building permits, and ensure the safety and stability of the constructed structure.
In summary, a soils investigation is a process that gathers data about the soil, while a geotechnical report is a document that interprets that data and provides recommendations for the project.

I see we are getting off on a geotechnical requirement tangent. I just want to remind everyone that this is a Permit Technician section which is where administration looks at the permit application as a whole before it gets sent to plan review for technician requirements. This is a valuable thread, even with the drift.

Yes I understand many of you are one-stop, one-man shops and this may not apply to you.

Yes I understand many of you are one-stop, one-man shops and this may not apply to you.
I've never had a permit tech or secretary. Some inspectors I've had...well maybe I should have done the application, the review, the inspection, the copying, the emailing of receipts, filing and get my own coffee....wait I already do that!

Hope not to offend anyone that does this service, I'm sure there's a need, bet some BO's are a pain to work for too.

Yes, this does not apply to me!
"adios muchachos!"

I've never had a permit tech or secretary. Some inspectors I've had...well maybe I should have done the application, the review, the inspection, the copying, the emailing of receipts, filing and get my own coffee....wait I already do that!

Hope not to offend anyone that does this service, I'm sure there's a need, bet some BO's are a pain to work for too.

Yes, this does not apply to me!
"adios muchachos!"
I you are acting as a permit technician and handle the up front review of the actual application and required documents before they go to plan review then, yes, this does apply to you.