• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Receptacle location in CEC 2019, yet again

diydak

I live in a 1905 house in California with a mish-mash of knob-and-tube and nm and a few “creative” multiwire splices done without the apparent need for being enclosed in a J-box. I plan to rewire the house and the panel has already been replaced and service upgraded to 200 amps. The permit policy in my city is that if a room is touched it be brought up to 2019 CEC. They also want a detailed electrical plan diagram. I have 2 questions about receptacle location and spacing. A couple of my existing receptacles are 7 and 7.5 feet apart. All of my receptacles are installed in 11 inch high baseboards. Am I reading 210.50 (E) correctly that to comply I need to move _all_ my outlets to a minimum of 12 inches above the floor? Regardless of height, do I need to move the existing outlets that do not meet the 6 foot rule in 210.52? I’m fine with adding additional outlets. How can I accommodate the intent of 210.50 and 210.52 in my plans without destroying all the original baseboard and also avoid the loss of integrity of the original plaster walls by cuttiing through a bunch of lath for the new boxes?

The 6ft rule is not spacing, it is a max distance from any point on the wall to a receptacle so 12' spacing box to box along the wall.

As for grandfathering in your existing locations, that will be up to you local AHJ.

This thread will be locked shortly and you will be sent to the DIY chatroom. Good luck!

I think you can make a case for leaving the locations as-is and just upgrading the wiring and devices.

Same age as our Craftsman, County allowed us to remain as is when we upgraded from 30 to 200A.