• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Receptacles at balconies

georgia plans exam

Silver Member
righter101 brought up a question about shallow balconies in the Commercial Building Forum. I have a similar situation with regards to receptacle placement.

The 2011 NEC has revised Section 210.52 (E) (3) and removed the 20 sq. ft. exception for balconies, decks and porches. In other words, all balconies, decks and porches that are accessible from inside a dwelling unit require a receptacle.

I am reviewing a 5-story apartment building which has about 100 of these shallow balconies. They extend out from the building 8". We sometimes call them "juliette balconies" around here. Our Electrical Inspector Supervisor contends that receptacles are required.

I tend to disagree, however, IBC Section 1602 (2006) defines a balcony as "An exterior floor projecting from and supported by a structure without additional independent supports."

It's hard to not agree that this is a floor projection, even though it is only projecting 8". I just don't feel right about requiring these receptacles that would, basically be unusable except, maybe for Christmas lights on the guard rail.

Any thoughts?

GPE

I'd have to agree.........on both points.

Yes, I believe it does meet the definition of a "balcony".

But yes, I think it's a bit ridiculous to require a recept in an area you can't even stand in. But as you pointed out, someone could, and probably would use it for Christmas lights. And, if not available, would run a zip cord through the door.

Tough call, I would have to agree on requiring them.

The exception to 210.52(E)(3) in the 2008 NEC that permitted balconies, decks, and porches with an area of less than 20 sq. ft. to omit a receptacle was deleted in the 2011 NEC. Now, a balcony, deck, and porch of any dimension is required to have at least one receptacle installed if the area is accessible from inside the dwelling.

Small balconies and porches are commonly used to display holiday lighting, or as a place to put radios, fans or other appliances. If an outlet is not installed on the balcony or porch, extension cords are often run through doorways and plugged into outlets that do not have GFCI protection.

Requiring balconies and porches that can be accessed from inside the dwelling to have a GFCI protected receptacle outlet, regardless of the size of the porch, will eliminate the double hazard of running extension cords through doorways and plugging appliances into outlets without GFCI protection.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=14&ved=0CDYQFjADOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jade1.com%2Fjadecc%2Fregistration%2FcountHS2PDF.php%3FPDFURL%3DNEC11_2pt1_HS%2CElectrical%2CMT%2CNEC05_PDFbuilder.php%3FcourseDB%3DUNIVERSAL-varID%3DNEC11_2pt1-state%3DMT-trade%3DElectrical-course%3DNEC11_2pt1_HS-content%3DNo-contentNumbers%3DYes-questions%3DYes-questionNumbers%3DYes-output%3DPDF-expDate%3D8%2F1%2F2012&ei=hY0ZT6mgDc3TiAL2mqmZCA&usg=AFQjCNEjZIYWV3d8kIUPp2MEh2WX7hZQcg&sig2=df0uea3ou7UJGDTLw3AXvg

Stupid is as stupid does....If the outlet is there, people will use it and who knows what they'll do with it.

I will say no receptacle is required.

"They extend out from the building 8". We sometimes call them "juliette balconies" around here."

I looked at several so called Juliette balconies on the Internet and they all share a common trait. All of them had enough space for a person to stand with the door closed. The construction that you describe is only eight inches and I wouldn't call it a balcony, deck or porch as mentioned in the NEC. I would refer to it as an architectural design feature.

A 100 of these will cost $4000.00 and they will not be used in a way one would normally use a receptacle associated with a balcony.

Last edited by a moderator:
I respectfully disagree.........they may not use the balcony as intended, but with the required guard, there WILL be folks using it for lighting decorations, an electric BBQ, etc. If the GFI isn't there, the zip cord will be through the door, with all the potential results. JMHO

I've seen many that lack the 8" floor with a wrought iron guard that curves and flows. Knowing that someone could hang decorations on that guard is reason enough to require a receptacle? What's next, trees? Is it the floor space of <8"X the width of a door that creates a balcony for Barbie dolls?

Here it is in the building code forum: http://www.inspectpa.com/forum/showthread.php?7480-Romeo-Balcony-not-allowed-on-R1 There, balcony has changed gender and morphed into a window.

These "balconies" are usually no wider than the window opening, so an outlet would have to be mounted outside of the railing. I can see somebody reaching over the railing to plug something in and tumbling over the edge.

MtnArch said:
Would you also require a light outside the door? If so, what exactly are you lighting?In my opinion, a receptacle would be a really good idea - but not required.
No a lighting outlet is not required because 210.70(A)(2)(b) only requires a light on the exterior side of outdoor entrances and exits with grade level access, which this balcony does not have.

I disagree that a receptacle is not required. 210.52(E)(3) requires a receptacle to be installed on a balcony regardless of size.

Chris

Here is the ROP for this section.

2-266 Log #1148 NEC-P02 Final Action: Accept(210.52(E)(3) Exception)

Submitter: Vince Baclawski, National Electrical Manufacturers Association

(NEMA)

Recommendation: Delete the Exception:

Exception to (3): Balconies, decks, or porches with a usable area of less than

1.86 m2 (20 ft2) are not required to have a receptacle installed.

Substantiation: If a porch, deck or balcony is accessible, the safety of having

a receptacle installed should be provided. There should be no distinction

between sizes of these areas. The code rule intent is to avoid cords from

passing through doorways. There is no less chance that this would occur for

small porches, decks or balconies. These smaller areas will have holiday

lighting and small appliances used there. Please reference Mr. King’s

Explanation of Negative in 2008 ROC 2-230.

KING, D.: I disagree with the Panel that a minimum dimension of 20 sq. ft

should be a condition for this requirement. If a porch, deck or balcony is

accessible and intended for use by occupants of the dwelling than a receptacle

should be required regardless of the minimum dimension. The purpose of this

section is to eliminate the use of cords through doorways to supply electrical

equipment at these locations. Cords passed through doorways are a potential

cause for electrical shock and fire due to damage that can easily occur to the

cord where it passes through the doorway. Acceptance of this Comment will

allow this hazardous condition to continue to exist for porches, decks and

balconies that are less than 20 sq. ft.

Panel Meeting Action: Accept

Number Eligible to Vote: 12

Ballot Results: Affirmative: 11 Negative: 1

Explanation of Negative:

ORLOWSKI, S.: As pointed out during the development of this new

provision last cycle, if there is no minimum dimension for a balcony, the

opening area and guardrail afforded for a door in an exterior wall, installed for

aesthetics or ventilation, would now be considered a “balcony”.

It is truly unfortunate that most of the members of Panel 2 are not that

familiar with the many types of architectural projections that will now be

labeled as a balcony. These include the safety guardrail at second floor double

doors that are used for natural ventilation. This arrangement consists of a

simple guardrail that may extend a few inches out from the face of the

building. There is no usable, occupiable, or habitable space, it is just a

guardrail. In addition, a simple architectural balcony that extends a foot or so

out in front of these doors. There is hardly any area for more than one person

to stand, let alone participate in any activity except looking. The Exception was

included in the 2008 NEC as it provided the means to define the usable area of

a deck or balcony. Without this exception, the manufactures have gotten

another mandate into the NEC to require more of their products without

providing substantiation that a problematic fire or life-safety situation exists.

Comment on Affirmative:

WEBER, R.: I commend the panel and its action to remove the code section

which states, “the area of less than 20 sq.ft. are not required to have a

receptacle installed” for that portion of balconies, decks or porch spaces. This

was put in the code during the 2005 NEC ROC cycle and was disputed at that

time. It makes sense that if an exterior space is afforded some railing and small

area whatever that may be; it will be used and should have a GFCI protected

receptacle installed to provide power. Holiday lighting on the exterior of a

dwelling unit is becoming more common and almost is displayed the year

round for the various holidays observed. The other alternative is to have a cord

put through the doorway out to that space without GFCI protection in most

cases and create a known electrical code violation. If it is there (outside GFCI

receptacle) it will be used, and we are ensuring a safe means to meet the

customer’s needs.
Chris

fatboy said:
I respectfully disagree.........they may not use the balcony as intended, but with the required guard, there WILL be folks using it for lighting decorations, an electric BBQ, etc. If the GFI isn't there, the zip cord will be through the door, with all the potential results. JMHO
I agree and so does the CMP.

Chris

They removed the exception that makes thier intent pretty clear. The IEIA powerpoint presentation for the 2011 NEC code changes shows an example of a balcony that looks 8' wide by maybe 1' deep with a metal railing in front of two doors. Close to what your describing.

=

IMO, if the plans state that these exterior "thing-a-ma-jiggies" are

actually defined as balconies [ on the plans ], then the receptacle

will be required, ...according to the `11 NEC.....How they will be

used by the tenants is not under control of the AHJ.

Again, stepping down off of soap box... Let the banter continue! :D

&

As my prof would say to us when looking for definitions in the Code, if it's not there, go to the Dictionary definition. That said -

Definition of "Balcony"

bal·co·ny

[bal-kuh-nee] Show IPA

noun, plural -nies.

1. a balustraded or railed elevated platform projecting from the wall of a building.

2. a gallery in a theater.

That said - receptacle required would be my call.

Maybe we better put an outlet outside each window so if people put up Christmas lights aroung the window they won't run an extension cord through the opening.

Coug Dad said:
Maybe we better put an outlet outside each window so if people put up Christmas lights aroung the window they won't run an extension cord through the opening.
Don't give the code making panels any ideas. :D :cool:

Chris

I'll be immune to the madness until we've gotten our moneys worth out of the code I'm abusing now.

There is no doubt that the 2008 exception for a space less than 20 sq. ft. was a mistake.

A balcony, deck or porch of a certain size requires a receptacle and many configurations below 20 sq. ft. must be included.

That is not all inclusive.

At a point, the size and or configuration of a balcony, deck or porch renders the space impossible to use. That point should be recognized by the code.

What about the deck or porch? What are the descriptions that we can use? Ya I know, it's all of them.

Did patio covers get left out on purpose? Shirley, people decorate their patio covers during the holidays. And that's along with the roof and chimney, windows, fences, bushes and trees.

It's a hoot that a CMP got all excited about holiday decorations. That's been going on for a few thousand years and it's the decorations inside the house that are deadly, just ask Garth.