• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Receptacles in exits

Inspector Gadget

I wanted to touch base with others - esp those playing in part 3 - with regards to how your offices treat plans that show electrical outlets in exit shafts.

The former fire inspector in our area was adamant that this was not permitted under 3.4.4.4:

1701877693762.png

Recepticles are clearly not allowed prescriptively.

However, I remember seeing a BC tribunal decision where the tribunal ruled that a receptacle served the exit.

I don't agree, but ....

Anyhow, I have a plan here, part 3 building, and they want to place a receptacle in the part of the exit that demises the shaft from the rest of the building. Unless persuaded otherwise, I will request that it be either relocated to the exterior wall (which while it has a fire-resistance rating, does NOT separate the exit from the rest of the building, so 3.4.4.4(1) does not apply.

Last edited:
I too struggle to see the difference between a receptacle and lighting, exit signs, call stations for rescue assistance, etc. Not sure why a cord through a door is ever better than a receptacle in the exit enclosure.

My reading of the text in the OP, taken out of context (no familiarity with Canadian codes), would be that any lights or receptacles would have to be surface mounted. I.e. the fire separation may have a hole cut in it for a non-combustible raceway, but not a hole cut in it for an electrical box.

Cheers, Wayne

FWIW....the IBC has taken a big step back on this, but I believe that NFPA is picking it up in the NEC somewhere....Your (b) is a little fuzzy IMO because I assume you allow outlets for lights so why not a receptacle for the vacuum....?

Lights are required by Code.
Vacuums are not.

My reading of the text in the OP, taken out of context (no familiarity with Canadian codes), would be that any lights or receptacles would have to be surface mounted. I.e. the fire separation may have a hole cut in it for a non-combustible raceway, but not a hole cut in it for an electrical box.

Cheers, Wayne
Correct. Or bulkheaded.

Nope. There is nowhere in the code that allows electrical boxes to be imbedded in the fire separation of the exit. However, these is a user issue where a projecting box can become a hazard, specifically to a seeing impaired person. We usually saw them imbedded on the exterior wall of the enclosure, since it doesn't directly compromise the enclosure.

Does the BC decision say you can imbed the receptacle? I'm not seeing it but could have missed it.

The way I read it is just that you are not prohibited from installing a receptacle in the exit.

Nope. There is nowhere in the code that allows electrical boxes to be imbedded in the fire separation of the exit. However, these is a user issue where a projecting box can become a hazard, specifically to a seeing impaired person. We usually saw them imbedded on the exterior wall of the enclosure, since it doesn't directly compromise the enclosure.

That's the angle I have taken, as well. I've also permitted outlets to be installed on the load-bearing interior walls supporting stairs.

Does the BC decision say you can imbed the receptacle? I'm not seeing it but could have missed it.

The way I read it is just that you are not prohibited from installing a receptacle in the exit.

Yeah, the decision doesn't seem to permit embedding. The way I read it, esp. with the tripping hazard language, is that the BC Tribunal was allowing wall-mounted receptacles, presumably fed by n/c conduit.

As noted by both of us, there are other solutions available.

Cheers, Wayne

A hole cut in a rated exit enclosure is no different from a hole cut in any other rated wall. It's not a through penetration of the enclosure assembly, it's a hole cut in one membrane -- and on the side that's generally NOT the side we're most worried about. There are rated electrical boxes, and there are putty pack for use when installing non-rated boxes in rated walls.

If the receptacle is in the exit enclosure, pretty much by definition it "serves" the exit enclosure,. I don't see a problem.

A hole cut in a rated exit enclosure is no different from a hole cut in any other rated wall. It's not a through penetration of the enclosure assembly, it's a hole cut in one membrane -- and on the side that's generally NOT the side we're most worried about. There are rated electrical boxes, and there are putty pack for use when installing non-rated boxes in rated walls.

If the receptacle is in the exit enclosure, pretty much by definition it "serves" the exit enclosure,. I don't see a problem.
The box is not a permitted opening. The wires and raceways are.

The box is not a permitted opening. The wires and raceways are.

It is a permitted penetration in the U.S. if it doesn't exceed 16 square inches in area (a standard 4" x 4" steel box). Another difference between the ICC and the Canadian NBC.

1023.5 Penetrations. Penetrations into or through interior exit
stairways and ramps are prohibited except for the following:
1. Equipment and ductwork necessary for independent
ventilation or pressurization.
2. Fire protection systems.
3. Security systems.
4. Two-way communication systems.
5. Electrical raceway for fire department communication
systems.
6. Electrical raceway serving the interior exit stairway
and ramp and terminating at a steel box not exceeding
16 square inches
(0.010 m2).
7. Structural elements supporting the interior exit stairway
or ramp or enclosure, such as beams or joists.
Such penetrations shall be protected in accordance with
Section 714. There shall not be penetrations or communication
openings, whether protected or not, between adjacent interior
exit stairways and ramps.

Exit passageway:

Will you see these in the exit passageway: Emergency light, exit light, heating and cooling, ceiling or wall sconce lights, light switches?

Are we all okay with fire sprinkler penetrations? looks like code allows it.

Are we checking the wall material fire ratings?

Are we installing a wall hang fire extinguisher or inset cabinet?

Plastic receptacle boxes prohibited?

Just trying to verify I'm not allowing to much in the passageway, cuz I see this stuff in the field.

My responses (based on Canadian part 3 codes)
Why switches for the lights? Lights should be on all the time.
Exit lights (sign) - IF required. If signs are not required, then the penetration cannot be supported.
Emergency lights - required
Wall sconce? Sure. Flush mount only, box cannot penetrate the assembly.
Extinguisher: wall-mount probably better.
ALL receptactle boxes are prohibited.

Exit passageway:

1. Will you see these in the exit passageway: Emergency light, exit light, heating and cooling, ceiling or wall sconce lights, light switches?

2. Are we all okay with fire sprinkler penetrations? looks like code allows it.

3. Are we checking the wall material fire ratings?

4. Are we installing a wall hang fire extinguisher or inset cabinet?

5. Plastic receptacle boxes prohibited?

Just trying to verify I'm not allowing to much in the passageway, cuz I see this stuff in the field.
My answers, based on the IBC (not Canadian codes):

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Any cabinet, wall gung or inset would not be allowed to penetrate membranes that are part fo the fire-rated assembly. I typically see semi recessed cabinets installed with drywall behind them to maintain the membrane.
5. Yes, plastic boxes prohibited.

Lastly, exit passageways are to be used solely for egress AND as a circulation path, which means they can be also be used for ingress. some may ask, well, then what's the difference between a corridor and an exit passageway? Here are other items/functions that are allowed in corridors but NOT allowed in exit passageways:
  • Doors opening directly to/from spaces that are normally considered as unoccupied, such as storage and utility rooms, restrooms.
  • Lockers (such as in a school corridor)
  • Furnishings that cause people to pause from the task of egress and circulation.
  • Artwork, video displays, display cases, etc. to the extent that it is intended to cause people to divert their attention from the task of egress and circulation.

Lastly, exit passageways are to be used solely for egress AND as a circulation path, which means they can be also be used for ingress. some may ask, well, then what's the difference between a corridor and an exit passageway? Here are other items/functions that are allowed in corridors but NOT allowed in exit passageways:

In a nutshell, a corridor (exit access) leads from a space somewhere in a building TO an exit enclosure.

An exit passageway leads FROM the termination of an exit enclosure to the exit discharge from the building.

"Why switches for the lights? Lights should be on all the time."

Some lights should be on all the time to provide the minimum footcandle (or lux) level required by code. Lights in excess of this can be switched.

"Why switches for the lights? Lights should be on all the time."

Some lights should be on all the time to provide the minimum footcandle (or lux) level required by code. Lights in excess of this can be switched.
The energy code folks have backed off of this a bit, but there is really no reason that occ sensors shouldn't work for exit enclosures.....

Exceptions:Lighting controls are not required for the following:

1. 1.Areas designated as security or emergency areas that are required to be continuously lighted.
  2. 2.Interior exit stairways, interior exit ramps and exit passageways.
  3. 3.Emergency egress lighting that is normally off.

In the Canadian codes, is the concern about outlets:
(a) the mere existence of outlets within the area of an exit? -or-
(b) the penetration of recessed or semi-recessed outlets into fire-rated walls?

If the latter, there are many details that can work around this issue.

In the Canadian codes, is the concern about outlets:
(a) the mere existence of outlets within the area of an exit? -or-
(b) the penetration of recessed or semi-recessed outlets into fire-rated walls?

If the latter, there are many details that can work around this issue.

More (b) - and yes. The intent is to wholly preserve the fire separation.