• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Recessed lights in a V-A Building

retire09

Silver Member
Am I correct in requiring recessed lights in the ceiling of a V-A building to all be 1 HR rated?

This applies to both floor/ceiling and roof/ceiling fixtures.

why?

not a IBC person, but unless the floor ceiling is required to be rated don't see why adding lights would do it.

Install per manufacture with required clearances?

VA...the whole structure is rated.....

cda said:
why?not a IBC person, but unless the floor ceiling is required to be rated don't see why adding lights would do it.

Install per manufacture with required clearances?

retire09 said:
Am I correct in requiring recessed lights in the ceiling of a V-A building to all be 1 HR rated?This applies to both floor/ceiling and roof/ceiling fixtures.
Greetings,

if the ceiling is rated the fixtures should be rated or other allowances made to maintain ratings. I've seen double ceilings on a number of occasions to deal with the issue. Boxing out around the fixtures is another option commonly used around here.

BSSTG

This is an existing I-2 Nursing Home, fully sprinklered and must comply with type V-A construction to meet area limitations. It has 2 layers of 5/8 rock on all the lids with dozens of nonrated can lights and speakers.

""This is an existing I-2 Nursing Home, fully sprinklered and must comply with type V-A construction to meet area limitations. It has 2 layers of 5/8 rock on all the lids with dozens of nonrated can lights and speakers. """"

the rest of the story

does it also fall under 101???

Not that I am aware of. Is that possibly a requirement for the licensing from other authorities?

retire09 said:
Not that I am aware of. Is that possibly a requirement for the licensing from other authorities?
Most fall under fed and maybe state oversight