• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Referenced Codes in the IBC

mshields

Silver Member
I work in Massachusetts. Our building code is the IBC with Mass ammendments. I thought there was a place that listed referenced standards such as NFPA 110 and referenced them in their entirety. Instead, I find, in the IBC, Chapter 35 which lists various standards, take for example NFPA 110 (and Mass ammendments to 35 does not of course exclude this). But in Chapter 35 it lists the various places in the IBC where that standard has been referenced. My question is, do these referenced codes apply in their entirety or only as they pertain to the IBC section numbers listed?

Also, and this one is rather basic. Each standard is listed as, again I'll use NFPA 110 as an example as 110 - 05. Is 05 the year (presumably typically the latest version of 110. Because if so, that seems a little dated?

Thanks,

Mike

The extent of the applicability of a reference standard is a function of how it is invoked in the IBC. In most cases the IBC will say that the standard applies thus all aspects of that standard. I am not sure this answers your question. An example would help.

If NFPA 110-05 is listed this is the version that applies. In order to update this reference you would either have to formally amend your code or you would have to adopt a later version of the model code. This is because it is illegal to adopt a standard with the intention that future versions would automatically be applicable.

IBC Section 102.4 (2012 Edition) states that reference standards are incorporated only to the extent referenced. If the IBC states something like "Comply with Table 2 of ASTM D XXXX," then only that table is a requirement of the IBC and the rest of the standard is nonapplicable. However, if the IBC states that a material is to comply with ASTM C 1396 (as is the case for gypsum board), then the entire standard is applicable.

I agree with RGLA. The IBC does not always reference the most current standards. For instance, it still references AWS 1.4-98 and I think it is out-of-print. AWS 1.4-2011 is the most recent structural welding code for reinforcing steel.

I do not think All the time if a standard is referenced that you can use the entire standard, but sometimes Yes it does, like nfpa 13

And No the edition referenced is not the latest standard available all the time.

The edition that is referenced is that edition which has been coordinated with the referencing code.

I agree with RLGA.. standards are only applicable when adopted in their entirety by the jurisdication or only as referenced in the adopted code.