• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Reflective tinted glass on the MOE door?

SCBO1

Platinum Member
I have a question in regards to 2012 IBC 1008.1.
Can you have tinted glass on a MOE door? The code calls out mirrors or similar reflecting materials shall not be used on MOE door.

The product is listed as "Solarcool" and "Solarbronze"

Would this type of tinted glass be prohibited meeting the reflective material part of the code on a MOE door?

Is it mirrored on both sides, or only the exterior?

I've seen one-way mirroring on exterior glazing that cuts down on light transmittance and provides some insulating properties. Is that what these products are for?

If only mirrored on the exterior, I do not see a problem. Just check with the local planning department, as sometimes that will prohibit highly reflective surfaces. A highly reflective surface placed at the wrong spot may reflect light back onto a road and cause a visual impairment to drivers.

If my memory is right, I recall a story about a college that built a new library with either glass or metal cladding. At a nearby intersection, there happened to be accidents every day at nearly the same time. Local officials figured out that it was the reflection of the building that was blinding drivers.

CT,

I'm the AHJ, you presented the same questions as I did, worried about that sun reflecting off the door on the exterior side into traffic and some people when they enter a building might want to see who's getting ready to open the door when existing the building?

CT,

I'm the AHJ, you presented the same questions as I did, worried about that sun reflecting off the door on the exterior side into traffic and some people when they enter a building might want to see who's getting ready to open the door when existing the building?

I am going with no problem

"''''some people when they enter a building might want to see who's getting ready to open the door when existing the building?"""""

HOW do they do that with a solid wood door in place???

Do they have Chevy “see-through”door view?

cda, The doors are aluminum store front doors with glass, I see your point in regards to solid doors. The "OL" Bar-B-Q had a wooden entry door, most people just yield to the ones coming out.

If the door has reflective glass for the purposes of thermal and light performance, then that would only apply to the exterior side of the glazed door. On the interior side of reflective glass, the occupants would only see reduced light transmission, but it would not be reflective. Thus, there are no "mirrors or similar reflecting materials" used on a means of egress door.

Last edited:
Ron, that's the direction I was headed. The code wants you to be able to find the MOE door from the inside.

The exterior concern would be for motorist, even regular glazing can reflect car lights as well, I don't think this is the intent of the code on the exterior side.

Reflective glass could act as a one-way mirror at night. You may need to increase the light level just outside the door if this occurs.