• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Reinforcement support IBC

Uncle Bob

Where would I find the same requirements for reinforcement support in the IBC as in 2009 IRC, R506.2.4 "Where provided in slabs on ground, reinforcement shall be supported to remain in place from the center to upper one third of the slab for the duration of the concrete placement". ? Section number please, Thanks, Uncle Bob

1907.5 Placing reinforcement.

The placement of reinforcement, including tolerances on depth and cover, shall comply with the provisions of ACI 318, Section 7.5. Reinforcement shall be accurately placed and adequately supported before concrete is placed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an ACI 318 around here somewhere in boxes but can't find it. I'm trying to find the specific cover requirements. Pretty soon the IBC and IRC will both only be about 40 pages; because they will just reference other books. I get so sick of the ICC and their slovenly written crap they call code books. Anyway, thanks ya'll. Uncle Bob

The IBC is not written as a proscriptive code but rather assumes that an architect or engineer will use the provisions to produce a design which defines where the reinforcing steel should be located. The closest you will get is 2012 IBC Section 1907 which does not address reinforcing steel.

You will not find anything that specifically addresses reinforcing in slabs on grade not used to support vertical loads or to distribute horizontal lateral forces since these slabs are excluded from the scope of ACI 318.

ACI 318 Chapter 7 defines concrete tolerances and cover for reinforcing steel. But remember that ACI 318 does not address the typical slab on grade thus the cover and tolerances do not apply.