• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

remodel or rebuild

charlie

Here is a question that I have been unable to get a answer to or even a sugestion. You have a house (no sprinklers) that is fire damaged. The house is 2000sf and you are removing 1200sf of damage and replacing with new. Would this require the insallation of sprinklers? What if you are leaving only the foundation and one wall?

What code, 2009? Has the existing building code been adopted or any state codes?

IMHO

No, and no
:agree

SECTION R313

AUTOMATIC FIRE SPRINKLER SYSTEMS

R313.1 Townhouse automatic fire sprinkler systems.

An automatic residential fire sprinkler system shall be installed in townhouses .

Exception: An automatic residential fire sprinkler system shall not be required when additions or alterations are made to existing townhouses that do not have an automatic residential fire sprinkler system installed.

R313.1.1 Design and installation.

Automatic residential fire sprinkler systems for townhouses shall be designed and installed in accordance with Section P2904.

R313.2 One- and two-family dwellings automatic fire systems.

Effective January 1, 2011, an automatic residential fire sprinkler system shall be installed in one- and two-family dwellings .

Exception: An automatic residential fire sprinkler system shall not be required for additions or alterations to existing buildings that are not already provided with an automatic residential sprinkler system.

I've just been through this with Santa Clara County in California, they require conformance with rebuilds but not remodels, they changed their ordinance on me midstream but I was able to get grandfathered in under the old ordinance because I was "in the pipeline", here is their new ordinance, apparently many contractors and architects were designing new homes by leaving portions of the old homes to qualify as remodels, and it's not just sprinklers, it's a whole host of other requirements including extensive geologic surveys. In my case a rebuild wold have cost somewhere near a million dollars more in fees and expenses.