• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

kenotten

I have a vent hood with contols that are mounted too high (not accessible reach range). However, the manufacturer provides a remote control device. Any opinion as to whether this is acceptable under IBC 2015 / ANSI A117.1 - 2009?

It is a redundant control, but because it is not part of the built environment, it is not converted by ANSI. However, it may be an acceptable accommodation under the ADA.

Ken

Sorry. It is in an apartment building designed for Type A and Type B (both options) dwelling units. It is also covered by FHA. In Texas, must comply with ANSI or equivalent. Local building code has adopted IBC 2015 and ANSI A117.1 - 2009. No federal funds involved.

I would accept the remote control device, so long as either tethered as suggested by Paul, or a mount for the controller is provided near and within the accessible reach range. I like the idea of a tether, but do not believe that it could be enforced by code.

If needed, apply A117.1 Section 103 to justify.

A117.1-2009
103 Compliance Alternatives
Nothing in this standard is intended to prevent the use of designs, products, or technologies as alternatives to those prescribed by this standard, provided they result in equivalent or greater accessibility and such equivalency is approved by the administrative authority adopting this standard.