• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Remote, Florida Certified/Licensed Residential Inspector

Keystone

SAWHORSE
Unique opportunity for a Residential Licensed Roofing Inspector in the State of Florida.

Dynamic, well established remote inspection company is seeking a Part-Time Residential Licensed/Certified Roofing Inspector for the State of Florida.

Benefits

Work remotely from home.

We provide training.

A great company culture.

The Ideal Candidate is:

Personable

Certified professional Inspectors required.

Comfortable with computers and software programs

Heart for customer service

Positive Attitude

Critical Thinking

Flexible and team oriented

If you are currently seeking a part-time position and this is something that might be of interest to you, please reply here with your current resume or information and also include information on current Licenses/Certifications. To learn more about our company, please visit www.NOAHcertified.org

Requirements

Residential Roofing Inspector Licensed/Certified in the State of Florida

Workplace & Location Type: Remote

Company Name For Job: NOAH RDI

Position Title: Florida Licensed Roofing Inspector

Job Type: Part-Time

Min Education: Fl. Active Residential Certification/LIcense.

Min Experience: 1-2 Years

Required Travel: 0-10%

Please email resume;

Leanne Fleischer, HR Coordinator

leanne@noahcertified.org

I have a great deal of experience with remote inspections. If you visit the Los Angeles County B/S web site there is a section on remote inspections... much of it is my creation. I gave it nearly a year before I came to the conclusion that remote inspections just don't work. Most construction is not a candidate for remote inspections. There are many lousy inspectors performing lousy inspections and they aren't fooling anyone.

Re-roofing is one of the few projects that are amenable to remote inspections. However, I assume that Florida has more requirements than we do here in California.

This PDF is an altered version of what I created and is in use today. Considering that LA County is one of the largest jurisdictions on Earth, you would expect a much more professional website.

The screen shot is part of the County website. It lists a group of projects that they will inspect virtually. The fact is that they will do any and all inspections virtually. It's ridiculous but given that the in-person inspection isn't any good either... well why not do it from home.

Note that they will inspect an electrical panel with the contractor holding a smart phone and the inspector squinting at a smart phone. This is what happens when bean counters and engineers run a building department.

Screen Shot 2024-01-29 at 5.00.17 AM.png

Last edited:
I have a great deal of experience with remote inspections. If you visit the Los Angeles County B/S web site there is a section on remote inspections... much of it is my creation. I gave it nearly a year before I came to the conclusion that remote inspections just don't work. Most construction is not a candidate for remote inspections. There are many lousy inspectors performing lousy inspections and they aren't fooling anyone.

Re-roofing is one of the few projects that are amenable to remote inspections. However, I assume that Florida has more requirements than we do here in California.

This PDF is an altered version of what I created and is in use today. Considering that LA County is one of the largest jurisdictions on Earth, you would expect a much more professional website.

The screen shot is part of the County website. It lists a group of projects that they will inspect virtually. The fact is that they will do any and all inspections virtually. It's ridiculous but given that the in-person inspection isn't any good either... well why not do it from home.

Note that they will inspect an electrical panel with the contractor holding a smart phone and the inspector squinting at a smart phone. This is what happens when bean counters and engineers run a building department.

View attachment 12759

There’s a small handful that may be concerning to inspect remotely, decks depending on type of footing and size of the deck, pad footing due unless they have soils report, electrical panel changeout because of several reasons.

Remote inspection can be a reasonable alternative.

Remote inspection can be a reasonable alternative.
That is a true misleading statement. There is the occasional, successful remote inspection and that makes the statement true enough. The fact that the successful remote inspection is the exception and not at all typical make it misleading.

Here's the thing about that. You said "reasonable alternative". By who's measure? The inspector that barely succeeds or perhaps never succeeds or an inspector that always succeeds? The inspector that always succeeds knows better than to trust a remote inspection.

Then there are the vagaries built into the process. Dim lighting, dim personnel, lousy signal strength, shady contractor, and a long list of impediments. The inspector has to take the word of the host... that alone kills it for me. Sorry to be so negative about something that so many want to embrace however, it is pure and simple bullshit.

Last edited:
That is a true misleading statement. There is the occasional, successful remote inspection and that makes the statement true enough. The fact that the successful remote inspection is the exception and not at all typical make it misleading.

Here's the thing about that. You said "reasonable alternative". By who's measure? The inspector that barely succeeds or perhaps never succeeds or an inspector that always succeeds? The inspector that always succeeds knows better than to trust a remote inspection.

Then there are the vagaries built into the process. Dim lighting, dim personnel, lousy signal strength, shady contractor, and a long list of impediments. The inspector has to take the word of the host... that alone kills it for me. Sorry to be so negative about something that so many want to embrace however, it is pure and simple bullshit.

Then there are the vagaries built into the process. Dim lighting, dim personnel, lousy signal strength, shady contractor, and a long list of impediments. The inspector has to take the word of the host... that alone kills it for me. Sorry to be so negative about something that so many want to embrace however, it is pure and simple bullshit

An inspection with dim lighting, lousy signal strength, etc... is comparable to an onsite inspection issues just the same, materials all over, shady contractor, etc... it’s up to the inspector to make the call to continue or not. That in itself doesn’t make remote inspection an issue.

An inspection with dim lighting, lousy signal strength, etc... is comparable to an onsite inspection issues just the same, materials all over, shady contractor, etc... it’s up to the inspector to make the call to continue or not. That in itself doesn’t make remote inspection an issue.
Are you performing remote inspections?

We do remote inspections for HVAC/plumbing replacements, simple remodels, etc. They are done live via FaceTime or Google Meet with the installer on site. If there are any lighting issues they have to have a flashlight. If we can't see well enough whether from dim lighting, bad connection, or for any other reason we are uncomfortable accepting doing the inspection virtually we can require an on-site inspection. We don't do them with homeowners.
Other than the occasional poor reception, there haven't been too many problems. I think most of the contractors don't want to lose the convenience of being able to get the inspection while still there, and being able to fix any corrections on the spot and getting it reinspected right away.

We do remote inspections for HVAC/plumbing replacements, simple remodels, etc.
It comes down to expectations. For the time that I did virtual inspections I was not comfortable with furnaces. There were a select few individuals that I had a history with and trusted. There were other companies that I wouldn't allow a virtual inspection. The thing is, I usually had plenty of corrections with HVAC and now and then they threw me a curve ball.

The furnace can be in a cramped space that makes it impossible to see everything.

IMG_3618.JPG

These pictures were taken from the access scuttle. So I was there in person and spotted a bunch of corrections and had the time to write it all. With some shaking camera phone panning around, it just doesn't work for me. Get a furnace wrong and people can die.

IMG_3823.JPG

IMG_3862.JPG

IMG_5194.JPG

Last edited:
Definitely some problems in those pictures...

It comes down to expectations. For the time that I did virtual inspections I was not comfortable with furnaces. There were a select few individuals that I had a history with and trusted. There were other companies that I wouldn't allow a virtual inspection. The thing is, I usually had plenty of corrections with HVAC and now and then they threw me a curve ball.
That's why we always reserve the right to require an on site inspection if we're not satisfied with the virtual. Some of the old granite basements in older parts of town cause reception issues. Had one the other day where it turned out the contractor's in-house electrician was running the phone and when asked to show something any self respecting HVAC tech would know he had no clue what we were asking for. We were on site the next day.