• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Removable Cabs at Lav

nealderidder

Sawhorse
I've read 1134A.8 of the CBC several times now and am still not positive about when I can put a removable cabinet under a lav in a bathroom...

1134A.8 #3 says cabinets are "acceptable" if I've got room for a parallel approach and cabinets are designed for adaptable knee & toe space (=removeable, right?).

Is there anything here keeping me from putting a removable cabinet under a lav with only a front approach?

Thank you.

You can put a removeable cabinet in the bathroom that complies with Option1 or Option 2 (1134A.2) when you meet all of the following conditions:
1. The user can perform a parallel approach without requiring removal of the cabinet. That means the centerline of lavatory is 24" away from the nearest wall or obstruction.
2. Either (a) there's no cabinet underneath (just an apron and side walls at least 33-36" apart); or (b) there's an apron, side walls and doors, but no cabinet bottom, so the user can just open the doors and roll in; or (c) there's an apron, side walls, doors and bottom, but the doors and bottom can be removed without special knowledge or effort.

These days most of our clients seem to prefer option (b). Most of their tenants just come in with their own storage containers or shelves and finish off the inside.

I think I get it... So if I have a lav centerline dimension from wall of 18-23.9" I can't put a cab below it, period. But if I have a dimension of 24"+ I can put a cabinet under it as long as it meets a,b, or c as you listed above.

Thanks Yikes.

Yes.
So, let's say you have a 36" wide cabinet and countertop. You could offset that lavatory bowl so that its centerline is 24" away from the side wall, like with this (American Standard Rondalyn) sink. Then your cabinet could have removable sides+doors+ bottom, leaving only a gusset on the side when the cabinet is eventually removed

1635875186038.png

Ironically, if this was an 11B / ADA residential bathroom, I think you could put in a forward-approach-only cabinet apron and sides, with door faces and no bottom - - provided that the cabinet doors' swing space would not get in the way of the wheelchair or path of travel to the sink or ADA-required turnaround.
You may want to ask your building official about using CBC 104.11 do do a modification request to allow an 11B sink clearance in an 11A bathroom.

Yes.
So, let's say you have a 36" wide cabinet and countertop. You could offset that lavatory bowl so that its centerline is 24" away from the side wall, like with this (American Standard Rondalyn) sink. Then your cabinet could have removable sides+doors+ bottom, leaving only a gusset on the side when the cabinet is eventually removed

View attachment 8326

Ironically, if this was an 11B / ADA residential bathroom, I think you could put in a forward-approach-only cabinet apron and sides, with door faces and no bottom - - provided that the cabinet doors' swing space would not get in the way of the wheelchair or path of travel to the sink or ADA-required turnaround.
You may want to ask your building official about using CBC 104.11 do do a modification request to allow an 11B sink clearance in an 11A bathroom.
Thank you for the detailed reply Yikes!