• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Renting Old travel trailer and code

Thebuilder7777777

GREENHORN
Hello,

we’re thinking to buy a Southern California property which has 1956 vegabond travel trailer.

The trailer is permitted and power, water, septic and even gas is connect, however it doesn't have a foundation which was okay long time ago.
So We are thinking to flip by investing just $10,000 and rent it.

However today, I saw Landlord Obligations for Habitable Premises, and it said that home owner can be sued from tenant if home owner doesn’t give safe environment.

The trailer is too old, so I think it might be hard to meet current codes with the old trailer unless we spend lots of money.

If we don't fix the old trailer up to codes, then I think a tenant might be able to sue us If something happen.

Please let me know if we can rent the old trailer without worrying, or if we need to fix the trailer up to code to able to rent, or is it better to trash the old one and install new one if we want to rent it.

Thank you.