• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Repair or Alteration Level 1

Ana

So I've been trying to find a clear difference between Repairs and Alterations level 1 in the existing building codes, and this is what I'm seeing, which is still not clear to me:

Repairs: reconstruction or renewal for maintenance or to correct damage.
  • The new materials must not present a hazard and are to be similar in function to the existing.
  • Damaged structural elements must be evaluated.
  • Any new structural members and connections are to comply with the Virginia Construction Code (VCC)
Level 1 Alterations: removal or replacement of existing materials.
  • The existing level of safety must be maintained.
  • The new materials are required to comply with the VCC.
So if I'm replacing the light fixtures, for example, with new light fixtures- same size- same locations, then this is a repair.
If I'm replacing the light fixtures with new light fixtures but slightly larger than the existing which might require extending the wiring to accommodate the new fixture, but still in the same location then this is alteration level 1? then I need a building permit?
The new light fixtures will comply with the Energy code IECC.
Is this a logical approach in your opinions?

A simple fixture replacement connecting to the original box or whip would probably be considered a repair. Changing wiring would move it up to an alteration.

Reactions: Ana