• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Report a non-permit construction?

Do you require that the plans at least indicate the building to be sprinkled? Say within the code analysis?

If you approve the plans and the plans say the building is non-sprinkled, then any letter attached to the plans, which indicates sprinklers will be separately permitted, is a joke.

There is no accountability, just excuses and passing the buck. The 3rd party agencies in PA could care less about compliance as it is all about profit and getting more contracts. Do as little as possible, don't rock the boat or create problems. The town I am in now used 3rd party for admin, plan review and inspections for over a decade and it left nothing but an administrative mess. They did not do anything other than what was pressing and needed at the time. I had out of date ordinances, missing paperwork, no paperwork and a lot of rubberstamping and inspections. It was a joke and the contractors took advantage of it.

The original posting had to do with an architect, not employed by the city and who apparently had not contractual inspection obligats, who became aware of work being done without a permit.

The original posting had to do with an architect, not employed by the city and who apparently had not contractual inspection obligats, who became aware of work being done without a permit.
Yes, and Rick took explained his situation which lead us down another path.

I am a licensed architect working on a SFD.
I was at the site to measure a few things and saw they are building a balcony on the 2nd floor without a permit. I gave them a notice of termination but do I have to report the construction to the City?
What is your role, under a contract for services with owner?