• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Req. Plumbing Fixtures on Roofdeck?

eyan50495

Hi All

I have a multifamily R-2 project and there has been some debate about required restrooms.

The roof (not a story) will have bulkheads, an elevator and stairs. The client has indicated that they would like a roof deck w/ seating, grills, etc. at about 1500 SF. It is our understanding that we would need a set of restrooms based on the plumbing count but the client has indicated that they have never provided restrooms on any other projects w/ roof decks for residents.

We do not have 'public' restrooms that are within 500' or 1 story of the roof. Could it be that it is not considered a 'story' that is why it is not required?

This is in the NYS 2020 code.

This is the conundrum of multifamily residential buildings with a common private pool.

Plumbing fixture counts for multifamily residential construction are based on the number of dwelling units and nothing else. Amenity areas that are used exclusively by residents and their guests are not considered public areas, and each resident or guest has access to the toilet facilities in their respective dwelling units. This is not unlike having a pool for a single-family detached home--people who need to use the restroom dry off and go into the house.

However, unlike single-family detached homes, dwelling units within a multifamily residential facility are not located nearby. Anybody with young children knows that kids just cannot "hold it"--sometimes you need something close by where you do not have to wait for the elevator to take you from the rooftop above the 25th story down to the 3rd story just to pee. A restroom closeby to the pool is always a welcomed feature. The problem here becomes where to put it.

Some jurisdictions, usually health departments, will stipulate requirements for public pools. Pools for multifamily residential facilities are sometimes regarded as public pools, even if the access is restricted. For example, LA County requires public restrooms for pools where the furthest pool user lives more than 300 feet from the pool. In LA County, a public pool includes pools associated with an apartment complex. I suggest looking at your local health department for requirements regarding public swimming pools.

Although you can have a rooftop structure that does not create an additional story (i.e., a penthouse), the use of the rooftop structure is limited. If you put a restroom on the roof, you have created another story, since a restroom is not a permitted use of a rooftop structure. If the allowable height does not permit another story, my suggestion is to locate the public restroom in the story below near the stair and elevator access. Otherwise, add a restroom on the rooftop adjacent to the elevator/stair bulkhead to take advantage of some wall construction. The added floor area would be minimal (unless you are at the limit already).

This is the conundrum of multifamily residential buildings with a common private pool.

Plumbing fixture counts for multifamily residential construction are based on the number of dwelling units and nothing else. Amenity areas that are used exclusively by residents and their guests are not considered public areas, and each resident or guest has access to the toilet facilities in their respective dwelling units. This is not unlike having a pool for a single-family detached home--people who need to use the restroom dry off and go into the house.

However, unlike single-family detached homes, dwelling units within a multifamily residential facility are not located nearby. Anybody with young children knows that kids just cannot "hold it"--sometimes you need something close by where you do not have to wait for the elevator to take you from the rooftop above the 25th story down to the 3rd story just to pee. A restroom closeby to the pool is always a welcomed feature. The problem here becomes where to put it.

Some jurisdictions, usually health departments, will stipulate requirements for public pools. Pools for multifamily residential facilities are sometimes regarded as public pools, even if the access is restricted. For example, LA County requires public restrooms for pools where the furthest pool user lives more than 300 feet from the pool. In LA County, a public pool includes pools associated with an apartment complex. I suggest looking at your local health department for requirements regarding public swimming pools.

Although you can have a rooftop structure that does not create an additional story (i.e., a penthouse), the use of the rooftop structure is limited. If you put a restroom on the roof, you have created another story, since a restroom is not a permitted use of a rooftop structure. If the allowable height does not permit another story, my suggestion is to locate the public restroom in the story below near the stair and elevator access. Otherwise, add a restroom on the rooftop adjacent to the elevator/stair bulkhead to take advantage of some wall construction. The added floor area would be minimal (unless you are at the limit already).
Hi RLGA

Thanks for the commentary. Although I agree with you, code officials in our area typically treat it as a 'public' area and we have to provide fixtures per the plumbing counts. There are issues where you have an amenity that yields more occupants than residents which becomes a problem.

That being said, for a rooftop with simple seating, etc. would you think that we have to provide a restroom within 1-story or 500' to satisfy code? We have a restroom 2 stories down but we're trying to avoid a restroom altogether on the roof or story below.

The requirement is within 500 feet and within one story. So the story below is the best location per my response above. The number of fixtures, in my opinion, should be negotiable. Requiring fixtures based on an occupant load that exceeds the occupant load within the building is a bit much.