• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Required outlet at tenant space entrance

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
I never noticed this requirement before and have not enforced it yet. I wonder why this wouldn’t this be section 210.11 “Branch Circuits Required”. Please give me your thoughts about this. Should I enforce this just for new buildings or for Change of Occupancy, tenant fit-out, new tenant spaces, or alterations at a tenant space entrance? Can’t find a requirement in the IEBC.
According a definition of "tenant space" it means just a portion of a building so it would no be required if someone is renting or is using a whole building.

600.5 (A) Each commercial Building and each occupancy accessible to pedestrians shall be provided with at least one outlet in an accessible location at each entrance to each tenant space for a sign or outline lighting system use. The outlet(s) shall be supplied by a branch circuit rated at use. The outlet(s) shall be supplied by a branch circuit rated at least 20 amperes that supplies no other load. Service hallways or corridors shall not be considered accessible to pedestrians.

Street people need to charge their phones also!

Seriously, I did not know it was a requirement, need to go look at it.
Interesting, I guess as a sparky you should be checking into "Special Equipment" when doing a commercial/tenant finish.

New building…yes
TI that includes the entrance…yes
Change of occupancy that doesn’t touch the entrance…no

I have installed those in retail spaces, up high close to the ceiling. And fatboy is correct, it is an attractant for street people.

New building…yes
TI that includes the entrance…yes
Change of occupancy that doesn’t touch the entrance…no
Not so fast there....

1007.4 Number of electrical outlets. Where the occupancy
of an existing building or part of an existing building is
changed, the number of electrical outlets shall comply with
NFPA 70 for the new occupancy.

I never noticed this requirement before and have not enforced it yet. I wonder why this wouldn’t this be section 210.11 “Branch Circuits Required”. Please give me your thoughts about this. Should I enforce this just for new buildings or for Change of Occupancy, tenant fit-out, new tenant spaces, or alterations at a tenant space entrance? Can’t find a requirement in the IEBC.
According a definition of "tenant space" it means just a portion of a building so it would no be required if someone is renting or is using a whole building.

600.5 (A) Each commercial Building and each occupancy accessible to pedestrians shall be provided with at least one outlet in an accessible location at each entrance to each tenant space for a sign or outline lighting system use. The outlet(s) shall be supplied by a branch circuit rated at use. The outlet(s) shall be supplied by a branch circuit rated at least 20 amperes that supplies no other load. Service hallways or corridors shall not be considered accessible to pedestrians.
That has been around for a long time. I think some people think they have to put a receptacle but that is not the case, just a junction box with the wired run for a sign or future sign. We've been enforcing that for a long time.

(A) Required Branch Circuit.
Each commercial building and each commercial occupancy accessible to pedestrians shall be provided with at least one outlet in an accessible location at each entrance to each tenant space for sign or outline lighting system use. The outlet(s) shall be supplied by a branch circuit rated at least 20 amperes that supplies no other load.
Exception No. 1:
A sign or outline lighting outlet shall not be required at entrances for deliveries, service corridors, or service hallways that are intended to be used only by service personnel or employees.
Exception No. 2:
The required branch circuit shall be permitted to supply loads directly related to the control of the sign such as electronic or electromechanical controllers.

This requirement is not contingent on whether an electric sign will be installed at the time an occupant moves in, since it is common to install an electric sign after the space is occupied or when a new occupant moves into an existing space.

jar, that must be in a newer edition than what we use.

I found a definition of tenant space that said it was part of a building that can be rented out.. So I guess it would not be for a whole building like a mini store unless it was part of a larger building. If the tenant space is off a corridor or in a mall it looks like the outlet would be required there too.

I just inspected a medical building that had tenant spaces: a blood lab, dentist, and physical therapy in the same building with entrances in a corridor and I should of required the outlet in the corridor.

Seems odd that it is just required for tenant spaces and not for a whole new store.

The code just says commercial buildings. No definition in the IBC of what a commercial building is. The PA UCC definition of commercial is a building or structure that is not a residential building but it also tells us to use the IBC for commercial buildings which would include R occupancies. So I wonder if all tenant space occupancies that are in the IBC including H,I,R, S and U require the outlet. It would seem odd to require it at all apartment units and hotel rooms entrances.

So who wouldn't be a pedestrian? Someone in a wheel chair?

pedestrian
2 of 2

noun

: a person going on foot : WALKER

content-section-header-border.svg

lightbulb-icon.svg

Did you know?​

How Should You Use pedestrian?
Most of us know pedestrian as a noun meaning someone who travels on foot. But the adjective sense of pedestrian as defined here is actually its original meaning. To be pedestrian was to be drab or dull, as if plodding along on foot rather than speeding on horseback or by coach. Pedestrian is often used to describe a colorless or lifeless writing style, but it can also describe politicians, public tastes, personal qualities, or possessions. In comparison with the elaborate stage shows put on by today's rock artists, for instance, most of the stage presentations of 1960s rock stars seem pedestrian.

Could this receptacle outlet serve two codes?

2020 NEC
210.62 Show Windows. At least one 125-volt, single-phase, 15-or 20-ampere-rated receptacle outlet shall be installed within450 mm (18 in.) of the top of a show window for each 3.7 linear m (12 linear ft) or major fraction thereof of show window area measured horizontally at its maximum width.

jar, that must be in a newer edition than what we use.

I found a definition of tenant space that said it was part of a building that can be rented out.. So I guess it would not be for a whole building like a mini store unless it was part of a larger building. If the tenant space is off a corridor or in a mall it looks like the outlet would be required there too.

I just inspected a medical building that had tenant spaces: a blood lab, dentist, and physical therapy in the same building with entrances in a corridor and I should of required the outlet in the corridor.

Seems odd that it is just required for tenant spaces and not for a whole new store.

The code just says commercial buildings. No definition in the IBC of what a commercial building is. The PA UCC definition of commercial is a building or structure that is not a residential building but it also tells us to use the IBC for commercial buildings which would include R occupancies. So I wonder if all tenant space occupancies that are in the IBC including H,I,R, S and U require the outlet. It would seem odd to require it at all apartment units and hotel rooms entrances.
2017 NEC Pennsylvania uses the 2017 if I am correct?

600.5 Branch Circuits.
(A) Required Branch Circuit.
Each commercial building and each commercial occupancy accessible to pedestrians shall be provided with at least one outlet in an accessible location at each entrance to each tenant space for sign or outline lighting system use. The outlet(s) shall be supplied by a branch circuit rated at least 20 amperes that supplies no other load. Service hallways or corridors shall not be considered accessible to pedestrians.

Does anyone know what the code means by:
1. A commercial building
2. A commercial occupancy
3. A service hallway or corridor

The code does not say if the outlet needs to be interior or exterior or how close to the entrance door it needs to be.

Does anyone know what the code means by:
1. A commercial building
2. A commercial occupancy
3. A service hallway or corridor

The code does not say if the outlet needs to be interior or exterior or how close to the entrance door it needs to be.
The purpose is for an exterior sign whether present or future. Storefronts, banks, office buildings, etc, Condo with a lobby, security desk, public areas, etc.

1687208489256.png

That has been around for a long time. I think some people think they have to put a receptacle but that is not the case, just a junction box with the wired run for a sign or future sign. We've been enforcing that for a long time.
The NEC use to have a definition of outlet. "The point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment"

Junction box with blank cover I would think meets the requirement.

What we typically see after a sign has been removed is no junction box and two or three conductors with or without wire nuts exposed to the elements.

Lets not get too hasty with calling Jboxes outlets as then you can't jbox anything for the dwelling unit kitchen outside the kitchen and GFCI might become a thing too...210.52B2

(2) No Other Outlets.
The two or more small-appliance branch circuits specified in 210.52(B)(1) shall have no other outlets.

A box and blank cover installed for the purpose of future installation of utilization equipment is an outlet per the NEC. Where the NEC wants you to install a receptacle at an outlet, it use the phrase "receptacle outlet." The text quoted in 600.5(A) does not call for a receptacle outlet.

Cheers, Wayne

A box and blank cover installed for the purpose of future installation of utilization equipment is an outlet per the NEC. Where the NEC wants you to install a receptacle at an outlet, it use the phrase "receptacle outlet." The text quoted in 600.5(A) does not call for a receptacle outlet.

Cheers, Wayne
So how do you differentiate between one that is for future use and one that is not? Or do you not allow J boxes on the small appliance branch circuit?