• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

required separation between a private garage and an apartment above

retire09

Silver Member
R-2 apartment building with private garages below.

Do you provide the min 1 hour assembly per 420.2 and 3 or is 406.1.4 allowed?

I have always considered 406.1.4 for single family only.

I have always considered 406.1.4 for single family only.
Not correct

406.1.4 Separation.

Separations shall comply with the following:

1. The private garage shall be separated from the dwelling unit......

DWELLING UNIT. A single unit providing complete, independent living facilities for one or more persons, including permanent provisions for living, sleeping, eating, cooking and sanitation.

As long as the private garage below the single dwelling unit is limited to a single dwelling unit then it is okay. If the private garage extends into a space below a second dwelling unit then section 420.3 would be applicable

If a fire below the single dwelling unit makes it through the single layer of rock per 406.1.4, it is now inside a common floor/ceiling assembly and can spread under all of the apartments above.

Am I missing something?