• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Required Toilet Fixtures on other floors

AArchitect

I'm doing a 4 story 1 tenant office and research lab building. On the first floor is a large cafe area which bumps up the occupancy for the first floor. The total required water closets for the first floor is 5.213 per male and female without rounding up.

On the second floor (just B occupancy) the total required water closets is 2.420 per male and female.

Currently, there are 5 on the 1st floor, not including 2 additional gender-neutral toilets and 1 additional toilet in an exercise-like area per male and female, and 3 on the 2nd floor.

Now the question is since I know you can use fixtures one floor above and below per code but do I need to round up on each floor which would be 6 for 1st floor and 3 for 2nd floor or can I take 0.213 from the 1st floor and have the 2nd floor cover it? Or can I count these other toilets (mainly the 2 in the locker room) for this count? One is in the lobby, one in the kitchen, and 1 each in the locker room of the exercise area.

The project is a B occupancy in North Carolina.