• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Requirement for party wall?

Mr Softy

Silver Member
Looking at a proposed single B-use Type IIB building that stretches over 3 separately owned parcels. The developer controls all the parcels through acquisition of a ground lease for 99 years on all three lots.

Now, the code is clear that IF a fire wall is located on a property line, it is considered a party wall.

But can anyone cite a code section that requires the fire wall/party wall on the interior property line?

I looked at fire separation distance, but we're not talking an 'exterior wall'. So can't go there.

My first reaction was. "Oh, you need a party wall". But upon closer examination, I am not finding it.

This could be interesting... Projects I've dealt with involved ownership, not rental, and typically the lots were consolidated.

We require them to bind the lots together with a recorded document that list the AHJ as a party to that document. In other words one lot could not be sold without the AHJ approving the sale. Think of it as a re-plat of the existing subdivision without have to go through the long drawn out legal process.

BUILDING LINE. The line established by law, beyond which a building shall not extend, except as specifically provided by law.

Since he has a 99 year lease on 3 adjoining lots then his building line would be the exterior lot lines. Now there are building code and zoning codes that you have to deal with if the lease is broken to assure the building is not divided at the interior lot lines of the parent parcel. Simple recorded document can take care of the building code and zoning requirements to make 3 lots one..

BUILDING LINE. The line established by law, beyond which a building shall not extend, except as specifically provided by law.Since he has a 99 year lease on 3 adjoining lots then his building line would be the exterior lot lines. Now there are building code and zoning codes that you have to deal with if the lease is broken to assure the building is not divided at the interior lot lines of the parent parcel. Simple recorded document can take care of the building code and zoning requirements to make 3 lots one..
Thanks Insp. Cabin! That's very helpful, actually, in putting together the code justification.

By law could refer to the binding lease agreement on the parcels, or perhaps even the BZA approval for the building.