• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Requirements for Running Vehicle in Warehouse Space

harrisonhero

I'm working on a survey equipment retail tenant in an existing building. This includes a retail area and a inventory/warehouse space of approximately 1700 sq ft in the back.
The warehouse includes garage doors where vehicles can drive in to load/unload.

My boss is imagining a worst case scenario where a vehicle is left running inside for multiple hours with doors shut causing a hazardous buildup of CO.
He said he vaguely remembers code requirements relating to this, but doesn't remember where to find them.

Specific questions for the space to address this scenario:
- What is the occupancy classification of the space?
- Are there additional requirements for ventilation other than typically required by occupancy?
- Does the wall between the retail area and warehouse area have to be rated somehow to block CO transfer between the spaces (he said an analogous scenario might be the wall between a repair garage work area and office).

Running out of ideas of what part of the code might address this scenario, but also not the most experienced code searcher, so any help appreciated.

Attachments

• Survey Equip Space.png
    Survey Equip Space.png
    72 KB · Views: 6
Install a couple of wheel stops so the vehicle area is only about 8 ft deep. Can’t close the overhead door.

Normal protocols for large repair garages is to have fans tied into CO alarms. Can't find anything in ASHRAE (as a standard/Code), but if you're worried, that's the way to go.

Since the space is classified as a warehouse, not a parking garage or repair garage, the only section of the IMC that would apply is 502.14 Motor Vehicle Operation (2021 IMC). A CO system is required unless the vehicles are electric or the vehicles are running only when entering/exiting. Unless its and actual enclosed loading dock, I typically don't require a CO system in these instances. Most forklifts now are electric and if someone is backing in to put something on a truck then leave they will usually either leave the door open or turn the vehicle off.
Remember the codes are minimums, not best practice, and if you as the designer want to go above minimum requirements and require a CO system you can.

Since the space is classified as a warehouse, not a parking garage or repair garage, the only section of the IMC that would apply is 502.14 Motor Vehicle Operation (2021 IMC). A CO system is required unless the vehicles are electric or the vehicles are running only when entering/exiting. Unless its and actual enclosed loading dock, I typically don't require a CO system in these instances. Most forklifts now are electric and if someone is backing in to put something on a truck then leave they will usually either leave the door open or turn the vehicle off.
Remember the codes are minimums, not best practice, and if you as the designer want to go above minimum requirements and require a CO system you can.
Thanks, I think this answers my question.