• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Reroofing A Facade

Alias

Planner & myself just spent about a half hour trying to explain that you can't just replace the covering on the facade roof without a) site plan approval, and b) a building permit. Owner states he talked to inspector in another county and he told the owner that he didn't need a permit if he did it himself. I told him no, he needed a permit "But it's not structural, only cosmetic". I told him it didn't matter, he needed a permit as it was a 'roof' before and will be again. Now, if you had a business on Main Street, isn't this what you would love to see? :eek: The facade roof was wood shingled, and here is what the owner is replacing it with:

View attachment 1678

View attachment 1678

/monthly_2012_04/0418121150.jpg.9ca7ae3adcdd2aec5700db092f360f35.jpg

Maybe it was "sight" plan? Either way, I am sure the Planning Department has a regulation for acceptable roofing materials, and would want to review it. IMO, it is going to take a bit more than a re-roof to spruce that goose.

brudgers said:
Sorry, but site plan approval makes no sense for a reroof.
brudgers -

It's a CA thing. ;)

The reason for the site plan review is that this is smack in the middle of Main Street, and we do have some architectural standards per city code, not to mention state code.

Papio Bldg Dept said:
Maybe it was "sight" plan? Either way, I am sure the Planning Department has a regulation for acceptable roofing materials, and would want to review it. IMO, it is going to take a bit more than a re-roof to spruce that goose.
Owner is planning on painting the building. He mentioned the color blue.......

I think that will look really spiffy with the galvy tin roof, don't you? Oh, and the fence he erected has galvy panels at the bottom, chain link on the top.

ICE said:
Deleted.....Papio beat me to it.
ICE -

Glad to see you here, I thought of you and your pictures when I saw what this guy was doing. You missing a hamburger stand owner perchance? ;)

Alias said:
The reason for the site plan review is that this is smack in the middle of Main Street.
In that case, traffic engineering needs to look at it, too.

Pcinspector1 said:
Can you have the traffic engineer do something about the train horn!
A nice three level affect with a picket fence between the shrubbery and you won't even notice the horn....nigh!