• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ReRoofing Permit Package

Most of the roofing contractors that I know would need to hire a consultant to obtain permits ... They must be in it a thousand dollars before they start the work.

They say if you know the right person in the inspection office you can skip past a lot of paperwork. That’s what i heard …from a friend.

Does anyone remember the name of the big hurricane the devastated Florida back in the 1980s or 1990s?

Whichever hurricane it was, there were a LOT of home destroyed by the storm. In trying to figure out why that was the case, investigators were puzzled by the fact that in a sea of destruction, there was one neighborhood that survived the storm with the roofs pretty much intact and the homes mostly sustaining only minor damage. When they dug deeper, they discovered that the houses that survived were all built by Habitat for Humanity, by volunteers. What that meant was -- they actually built to code, because they weren't sharp enough (or motivated) to know where they could get away with cutting corners.

Years ago I was doing third party inspections on a luxury high-rise condominium building in New York City, in lower Manhattan and overlooking the East River. The NYC building code at the time required all reinforcing in masonry veneer to be hot-dip galvanized. I walked on the site and picked up scraps clipped off the ladder reinforcing. It was electro-galvanized (very thin), not hot dipped. But the boxes it came in bore a NYC approval number.

Codes are only as good as the people who enforce them.

Does anyone remember the name of the big hurricane the devastated Florida back in the 1980s or 1990s?

Whichever hurricane it was, there were a LOT of home destroyed by the storm. In trying to figure out why that was the case, investigators were puzzled by the fact that in a sea of destruction, there was one neighborhood that survived the storm with the roofs pretty much intact and the homes mostly sustaining only minor damage. When they dug deeper, they discovered that the houses that survived were all built by Habitat for Humanity, by volunteers. What that meant was -- they actually built to code, because they weren't sharp enough (or motivated) to know where they could get away with cutting corners.

Years ago I was doing third party inspections on a luxury high-rise condominium building in New York City, in lower Manhattan and overlooking the East River. The NYC building code at the time required all reinforcing in masonry veneer to be hot-dip galvanized. I walked on the site and picked up scraps clipped off the ladder reinforcing. It was electro-galvanized (very thin), not hot dipped. But the boxes it came in bore a NYC approval number.

Codes are only as good as the people who enforce them.
Andrew?

Wow! This is one of those things that seems too insane to be true: https://www.floridaroof.com/weak-link-in-florida-roofing-underlayment-requirements

I looked up the group referenced in SteveRay's post, and per this article on their website; Miami-Dade County arbitrarily selected -45 PSF as the threshold for underlayments to be approvable, rather than basing it on ASCE 7 calcs. It's been a while since I did a tile roof, but I've had several flat roofs in the past couple years cross -200 PSF, so I believe it's possible to hit the -108 PSF example in the article. I'll definitely be looking into this more.