• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Residential Concrete Questions

doug_adkins71

Newbie Here - Homeowner

I need help in finding answers please. I entered into a contract with a General Contractor to do two room additions on grade/slab in Kentucky. At the start we had a discussion in which he was to get the permit however later in the game I found that he did not and tried to say he thought I was getting it. I found out when I started having questions on the foundation and I asked for the inspection results that was supposed to be done before the pour. Of course he didn't have that done either so we argued and he quit...Now I have questions on if he has done work to code and am trying to do the right thing and get permit/inspection and an honest contractor. I have one footer done and the other addition has the slab done. The slab is 15' x 20' and was requested to be a smooth finish as the final result was to be acid stained. The finish on this is a brush finish and I have many high and low spots..some as much as an inch...I have a 1/2" drop in 10' in one area. I don't remember if he pinned the home footer to the new addition footers but he said he did, is that code for that to occur? If I get an inspector to come out will they saw my floor is too unlevel? Can that brush finish be made smooth and still be acid stained? How can the footer be checked if it was pinned together, does it have to be broken open and inspected?

To start with;

Welcome to the forum.

You best bet is to get a hold of your local building deparment, and find out what they are going to require. I would imagine they will want an engineers stamp on whateve work has been done. As far as the quality of the work, you are on your own there. No inspector is going to saw cut your floor, that's why an engineers stamp will be required. the sooner you get on board with the inspection department the better.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Also try to find a company that can answer the questions that will come and finish the job.

Try to ask around and find companies that people have used and have not had problems with.

They normally cost more money

Here it would start with submitting plans. At some point, the inspector will be asked what he is going to need to see. You mentioned dowels and that is one. Another is the steel in the footing as well as the slab. Then there's the Visqueen. The footing depth & width and slab thickness.

The next step is to do the repairs.

doug_adkins71 said:
Newbie Here - Homeowner I need help in finding answers please. I entered into a contract with a General Contractor to do two room additions on grade/slab in Kentucky. At the start we had a discussion in which he was to get the permit however later in the game I found that he did not and tried to say he thought I was getting it. I found out when I started having questions on the foundation and I asked for the inspection results that was supposed to be done before the pour. Of course he didn't have that done either so we argued and he quit...Now I have questions on if he has done work to code and am trying to do the right thing and get permit/inspection and an honest contractor. I have one footer done and the other addition has the slab done. The slab is 15' x 20' and was requested to be a smooth finish as the final result was to be acid stained. The finish on this is a brush finish and I have many high and low spots..some as much as an inch...I have a 1/2" drop in 10' in one area. I don't remember if he pinned the home footer to the new addition footers but he said he did, is that code for that to occur? If I get an inspector to come out will they saw my floor is too unlevel? Can that brush finish be made smooth and still be acid stained? How can the footer be checked if it was pinned together, does it have to be broken open and inspected?
Did you take ANY pictures of the process?????

Nobody likes to hear this but sometimes you are better served by cutting your losses. Get the whole thing out now and start over. Any method you use to smooth and stain the concrete will either fail, or cost more than the existing slab.

I have done two of these in the past, behind a couple of illegal alien contractors. You probably have maybe 5 yards of concrete there, and probably minimal reinforcement. A decent crew can have it busted out and gone in a day, especially while it's green.

The advantage is that you wll know what you have and if it's done right. It's doubtful the proper anchoring is even there for the structure.

Take pictures of everything. I usually do that for my clients and give them a drive with a full history of my part stored on it. The old days would be a photo album.

Brent.

= \ = \ = \ =

doug_adkins71,

Welcome to The Building Codes Forum ! :cool:

Your Topic line indicates that you are the homeowner.

If this is correct, then 1st, I would go visit the local

Building Department to see what is actually required,

by code, for your location.........2nd, I would also,

tear everything out and start new......This is a good

place for you to start taking pictures as well......Yes,

take pictures of what is being removed........This will

help you to learn how to document, and to have

evidence to look at down the road.

/ + / + / + /