• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Residential - Floor Insualtion

Twotimer

GREENHORN
Hi There
Does anyone have input as the best ways to insulate an unfinished basement floor here in Mass.l- Cape Cod
It arose during an inspection.

The owners do have long term plans to make it a finished living area in the future. I want to do it right and be prepared for the future work.

Thanks All

What's the basement floor? Dirt/gravel or concrete?
If the former, closed-cell foam insulation, vapour barrier, and concrete.
If the latter, you're best going with some kind of foamed insulation ... second best, IMHO would be vapour barrier, pressure-treated sleepers (assuming old homes, which often have moisture penetration issues into the concrete) and either foamed-in-place insulation (better) or fibreglass (if you're *certain* there's no chance of moisture penetration.)

I just put sleepers on an existing slab and 1 1/2" rigid foam between, poly, 3/4 ply, and solid wood t&g flooring. Attached garage conversion to living space. I'd was tempted to use adhesive and omit the sleepers - continuous rigid foam and ply sub floor. I did not omit sleepers because of unevenness and need to shim sleepers to level.

Welcome to the forum.

I suggest you buy this book. We use it quite a bit here in Montana. Usually when converting unfinished basements into living in older homes.

Builder's Guide to Cold Climates​

Builder's Guide to Cold Climates

AUTHOR(S)

Joseph Lstiburek
ISBN

0-9755127-1-4
PUBLISHER

Building Science Press
PUBLISHED DATE

FORMAT

Softcover
Because of the high cost of duties and taxes, we do not ship this book internationally. Please consider the PDF version if this affects you.
After two decades Joseph Lstiburek has re-written and updated the classic “Builder’s Guide to Cold Climates. It belongs in every builder’s, architects, contractors and code officials library. It covers the principles and practices of residential construction. It includes all of the revolutionary changes to construction since the the first energy crisis…advanced framing, unvented-conditioned attics and crawlspaces, ICF construction, SIP construction, spray polyurethane foam, continuous exterior insulation, externally/internally insulated basements and slabs, frost protected foundations, double wall construction, controlled ventilation systems - ERV’s vs HRV’s, case studies, net zero assemblies and more in a guide with over 450 full color figures and tables in 23 chapters and 460 pages from a world renowned expert.

$50.00

I just put sleepers on an existing slab and 1 1/2" rigid foam between, poly, 3/4 ply, and solid wood t&g flooring. Attached garage conversion to living space. I'd was tempted to use adhesive and omit the sleepers - continuous rigid foam and ply sub floor. I did not omit sleepers because of unevenness and need to shim sleepers to level.
Hi bill
Sounds like the most logical
Thanks