• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Residential Grade Beams

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Here are some pics from the lower garage section of a 15,000 square foot house on the ocean. These are grade beams on top of 40'+ deep pilings. Enjoy:

IMG_5132.JPG IMG_5133.JPG IMG_5134.JPG

Getting ready to set up the steel for the grade beams on the upper section of the house. Lots of work before it's time to pour. There is nothing IRC about this SFR.
IMG_5078.JPG IMG_5079.JPG

We don't have quite the same number of piles, but this foundation is similar to what you find on the Colorado front range, at 5280 ft. Due to expansive soils, deep drilled piers hit bedrock many, many feet below and then grade beams that are full height foundation walls are place on top. Cardboard void forms are then placed at the bottom of the forms between piers so there is a physical separation from all the soil. Different issue, similar solution. Thanks for sharing. It's great to see construction practices from other regions.

That’s a lot of conduit! Is that near the electrical panels?
Seeing all that sand ... easy to dig. When we built in san antonio, they cleared a couple of inches of top soil, then built forms on top of the limestone rock. Setting fence posts was always a brutal job.

I would have expected the rebar to be bent 90° at the top of the pile. But I am in California where the ground moves. We have caissons and they are always much larger in diameter. Public works projects like bridges will sometimes drive piles but I don't see them. Working with sand dictates what is possible. I suppose that our beach communities drive piles too. That's got to be a less than fun job.

Last edited: