• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Residential Hallways outlets

VAC

SAWHORSE
Hi there!

I have this condition... rough dimensions and layout, but here is a quick sketch.
There is only one outlet in this corridor.

If I'm reading the code correctly, that's all I need, because going through the door in the middle would be the start of another corridor... and that side is not 10'
Am I interpreting it correctly?
Just want to get another set of eyes on this :)

Thanks!
ps. I know it's not ideal but my question is in case adding extras is not an option.

Attachments

• Single corridor.jpg
    Single corridor.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 7
Hallways. In dwelling units, hallways of 3.0 m (10 ft) or more in length shall have at least one receptacle outlet. As used in this subsection, the hallway length shall be considered the length along the centerline of the hallway without passing through a doorway.
Thank you and yes, the way I interpret that is to mean that the 7' hallway to the right would be considered another hallway and therefore not require an outlet (because it's not 10')... and because even if we took the entire dimension, the one outlet would satisfy the requirement.

This question is in the Commercial Building Codes area of the forum. For the U.S., the question thus refers to the NEC, since the IBC has no requirements for receptacle spacing. Where does the NEC provide any requirements for placing receptacles in corridors?

This question is in the Commercial Building Codes area of the forum. For the U.S., the question thus refers to the NEC, since the IBC has no requirements for receptacle spacing. Where does the NEC provide any requirements for placing receptacles in corridors?
You know what, my bad. I do so little residential work that I came here automatically. I will remove post. Thank you!

Looks like I can't delete and I don't know how to close comments, so please ignore this thread.
It's kinda like seeing grandpa naked, can't get this thread out of my head!

Agree with the residential interpretation.

I quoted the NEC so I moved the thread to the Electrical Forum. However, in Florida the IRC might be the correct code, in which case I should delete my post. I also only have the 2020 NEC and it might be outdated in Florida… so yes i will delete my post. Perhaps a Florida member can provide the correct answer.

Last edited:
I quoted the NEC so I moved the thread to the Electrical Forum. However, in Florida the IRC might be the correct code, in which case I should delete my post. I also have the old code and it might be outdated … so yes i will delete my post. Perhaps a Florida member can provide the correct answer.
Thank you! Appreciate it.

Well, what are you waiting for?
Who me? I will go on the assumption that we don't need more than one, door or no door in that hallway :)
However, the latest revisions will most likely give us the opportunity to add a second outlet. So it's all good.
Thank you