• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Residential metal roofs

SCBO1

Platinum Member
I was asked if we allow residential metal roofs, and could not find anything prohibiting them. Any issues or code requirements I should be aware of? We have a 90mph wind load here and we are in a moderate hail zone.

What do you require on a re-roof issue going from asphalt to a metal roof system?

Any comments would be appreciated!

Yes, manufacturere specs but also, keep an eye out for existiing items on teh eve ends of the roof -- oil fills/vents, dryer or furnace vents, service entrances, , , , they may get easily covered by the snow sliding off the roof.

Pcinspector1 said:
I was asked if we allow residential metal roofs, and could not find anything prohibiting them. Any issues or code requirements I should be aware of? We have a 90mph wind load here and we are in a moderate hail zone.What do you require on a re-roof issue going from asphalt to a metal roof system?

CBC requires a complete tear-off. Check the length of the fasteners that they are using. We have been having wicked winds (40 - 50 MPH gusts)since the beginning of the year and I have seen some panels on the new metal rooves twisted and damaged.

Sue, gee, it must be 4 pm, the winds are picking up.........:mrgreen:

Pcinspector1 said:
I was asked if we allow residential metal roofs, and could not find anything prohibiting them. Any issues or code requirements I should be aware of? We have a 90mph wind load here and we are in a moderate hail zone.What do you require on a re-roof issue going from asphalt to a metal roof system?

Just make sure there's a code report for the required windloads (the same holds true for shingles and any other roof covering). Though 90mph shouldn't really be an issue.

Of course it's an open ended question, 5-vee crimp panels from Home Depot, probably haven't been tested.

They are beautiful and fairly maintenance free.. they are also loud in heavy rain and hail.

true, Yankee.. snow, however, doesn't particularly come into play this time of year. Uplift can be an issue with them (which most manufacturer's take into account)... installing the metal roofing directly to the roof structure presents insulation and uplift issues. Don't install it like a barn roof.

I don't disagree. I am just on an anti-"green" rant.

Last edited by a moderator:
rant away.. I hope I'm still around in 30 years when some of this "new, green" technology has a chance to mature.. see if anything is really saved.