• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Residential Pool Inspections

Darren Emery

Wondering how other jurisdictions handle pool finals. Specifically, do you measure all pool demensions for compliance with NSPI-5?

I am not sure what NSPI-5 is about. By the lack of responses, I'm guessing that I am not alone. I do recall seeing a regulation mentioned that had to do with minimum depths to prevent people from hitting the bottom when diving. As I recall, it was for public pools and I don't inspect public pools.

4' "unclimbable" barrier.....alarm....gate swings out, self closing, self latching, electrical good (timer, bonding, recep locations, etc....) I certainly do not measure "everything"....but if something looks off I am not afraid to....

Anything more specific Darren?

SECTION AG103

SWIMMING POOLS

AG103.1 In-ground pools. In-ground pools shall be designed

and constructed in conformance with ANSI/NSPI-5 as listed in

Section AG108.

Another referenced standard in the IRC that we did not have untill we had a problem. Residential pool installed in 2010, looks like it may be in violation of diving depths and slope requirments. NSPI-5 gets very detailed, and many of the measurements depend upon what diving board is installed.

Our final inspection on residential pools has always been along the lines of what steveray listed above. Now I'm wondering, given the signficant hazard diving presents, should we be doing more specific plan review and inspection before the pool is used? I don't think I'll add swimwear to our clothing order this year, but basic measurements before filling the pool may be in order.

If inspections involve verification of critical dimensions,

then I would be sure the plans examiners begin requiring them to be indicated on the drawings prior to issue of permit.

It does not make sense for this to be something we deal with only at final.

I have not studied NSPI-5 before, thanks for the homework.

I must have inspected hundreds of pools and honestly, I can't remember ever inspecting a new pool that had a diving board. I am sure that it has happened but it is extremely rare.

I found AG103.1 in our code book. I guess now I will have to ask somebody that's in charge, what to do with this. We always have a Standard pool plan which is an approved, engineered plan. My a**umption is that AG103 has been included in the design. But knowing what an a** I can be for making a**umptions, I will check it out.

Bring back the a** icon. Or at least let us have the word. I can be one but I can't say it out loud? :devil

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it common for jurisdictions to adopt Appendix G in your areas? We don't do enough pools to worry about it.

I don't know about other jurisdictions - but we do quite a few pools these days. I have about a dozen I'm chasing finals on right now. Maybe 20 a year?

If you don't adopt G, what standard do you use to permit and inspect?

Chapter 42 of the IRC, or Section 3109 of the IBC.

We are doing our first one in about 5 -6 years, and it is part of a R-2 complex. I think I have seen maybe 2-3 private pools in the 16 years I've been here.

All of this stands to change in the 2015 IRC.

A proposal to delete the entire appendix chapter and replace it with a direct reference in the body of the IRC to the International Pool and Spa Code (another book) was approved at the first hearing. I was the ONLY voice of opposition at that hearing. I was speaking for the decking industry. There is some BAD code related to decks in the ISPSC that I made a video about a while back.

NADRA and my chapter of ICC are the only ones to put forth a public comment asking for reversal of the committee decision. I will speak to these public comments in three weeks. NADRA's public comment can be downloaded and reviewed at this link: http://nadra.org/code/RB465_public_comment.doc

Here is the thread on this forum that introduces this pretty big deal...that few are paying attention to.

http://www.thebuildingcodeforum.com/forum/pools-spas-hot-tubs/11251-2015-irc-%3D-2015-ispsc.html

Yeah, I had just finished testifying on my proposal, and went outside to get a breath of fresh air, Glenn forgot to tackle me.............

Appendix G does not belong in the body of the IRC...........period. Adopt if you see fit.

Chasing Finals - my term for when the contractor fails to schedule a final, and we have to make calls, send letters, and knock on doors to get a final inspection completed. Sometimes feels like chasing my tail (if I had one...) :)