• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Residential PVC, DWV Rough Plumbing Test

Re: Residential PVC, DWV Rough Plumbing Test

s'ok tho, cause I make 'em crank da pressure up 'fore I git thar.

air in plastic isn't a good idea...

The code says the system needs to hold pressure for 15 minutes.. not that the inspector needs to witness it...

at all...

it's not a required inspection.

22 years here in the Twin cities suburb area and I've never seen anything other than an air test. 5# at the R.I. and a manometer at the final.I have never heard of anyone using water for a test!I guess we're just dumb old Minnesota boys and girls!

Joe

Well, what I've seen in Oklahoma; they do a water test (three head foot) on the building sewer and underground; but, the pipe is mostly covered (so it won't float up in case it rains); so, the odds of seeing a leak, are not good.

You have a code? Drink hot lemonade and get under the covers. Oh, and take an asprin for the fever. :)

Uncle Bob

30 miles west of Mule (DFW area) we do require the water test through the roof at plumbing top out.

Now don't take this as being a smart (.) but why do you fill the system all the way to the roof vent? Just because you can require them to do so?

There is no way that sewer can back up to a point above the roof.

P2503.5.1 Rough plumbing. DWV systems shall be tested

on completion of the rough piping installation by water or

air with no evidence of leakage. Either test shall be applied

to the drainage system in its entirety or in sections after

rough piping has been installed, as follows:

1. Water test. Each section shall be filled with water to a

point not less than 10 feet (3048 mm) above the highest

fitting connection in that section, or to the highest

point in the completed system. Water shall be held in

the section under test for a period of 15 minutes. The

system shall prove leak free by visual inspection.

IPC2003 section 312.1 and 312.5 sez "all plumbing system piping shall be tested with water or, for piping systems other than plastic, by air".

Public works will test city sewer lines with air, 5lbs for 5mins and it will determine there's a leak!

I will allow an air test on a dwv system if they have glue on caps and screw-in plugs. Plumber has to release air where air enters the system while I watch the gauge drop. Will not allow rubber caps with screw on clamps even though they show proof of air in the line when the cap rises, dangerous if they pop off! :eek:

To test or not to test with air?

Some pipe maufactures list that their pipe can not be tested with air pressure, Charlotte pipe being one of the companies.

If the plumbing waste and vent system is not tested in it's entirety than how do we know there is no chance of the attic having methane gas introduced? Not only a stinky mess but also highly flammable gases.

"Public works will test city sewer lines with air, 5lbs for 5mins and it will determine there's a leak!"

City sewer PVC pipe is not glued; it has a neoprene seal that allows movement.

Totally different world,

Uncle Bob

**@Glennman CBO** LOL got to love it!!!! WE have guys come in hear all the time and gripe that " We dont test like that in (insert city) i have never tested pvc in 40 years" I say well this isnt (insert city) we will test the rough-in to 10ft head and the Top-out will test through the roof. then 9 times out of 10 they call me and say thank you i found 2-4,5,6,7,8 leaks or you go out on site and see couplings all over the place where they fixed leaks. I love the ones that try to RIM glue fittings i take my knife point and poke on the BIG glob of glue and wow a leak LOL.... cause i know after a few months when that glue starts to age it will leak WE DONT GLUE PIPE, we solvent weld it :p

Edit @Mule We do it to check the pipe on the vent for split pipe so we dont get sewer gas in the attic the plumbing supply house isn't very gentle storing it or when they drop it off

Last edited by a moderator: